learning the ARM CORTEX M3

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by mahmoudathab, Jun 16, 2013.

1. mahmoudathab

Thread Starter New Member

May 20, 2011
    suppose that I wanted to learn the ARM CORTEX M3 programming in detail... is using development boards is the right answer? something like Arduino Due or mbed NXP LPC1768 board (http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/2150)??

this is because I really would like to go deeper into ARM technology. any thoughts are welcome.

2. mitko89

Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  3. mahmoudathab

May 20, 2011
    that I haven't decided just yet. but I hear CooCox is fine.

4. mitko89

Sep 20, 2012
    To be honest it doesn't really matter what devboard you are using. Generally this saves you the trouble of debugging hardware and leaves you time to practice the programming. What matters more is the environment. I use IAR and recommend it. All you have to do is get the manual of the particular uC and read it carefully. Don't start with complex projects you may have hard time debugging, finding the wheel is actually really good when it comes to programming.

5. mahmoudathab

May 20, 2011
    ok that is very helpful thanks :) . any other insights?

6. mitko89

Sep 20, 2012
    If you have any problems with debugging I may help, questions will come with coding. My only advice is read carefully the manual (at least the registers you are currently using) and pay attention to the configuration registers and read the startup file.

7. mahmoudathab

May 20, 2011
    thanks.. I appreciate it :)