Learning RIGOL DS1054Z: QUICK5

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I am looking at a few waveforms shown in the attachment below:
DS1Z_QuickPrint8.png
Channel 1 (yellow) is the WWVB signal; Channel 2 (cyan) is the 1 Hz signal from an RTC; and Channel 3 (magenta) marks the minute's "zero second" of the WWVB signal.

What I am trying to do is measure drift of the RTC 1 Hz square wave relative to the WWVB signal. Aboslute difference is not important now. Trigger is set to Channel 3, on any change.

Long story short, I can do it manually, but want to remove the bias of setting the time cursors, so I have been playing with the "auto" settings. You get into a menu that shows "Quick1 ...Quick5". I cannot find those terms in the user manual; although, using Quick5 does seem to work for this purpose.

Any advice on where to find a better description of how to use the "Quickx"modes for auto cursor measurements?

The Rigol is relatively new to me. What a change from my TDS210! :)

Thanks, John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Thanks, John

After much research on the web, the term Quick5 is not found in reference to RIGOL 'scopes, nor is it an any of the Rigol manuals. I turned to the programming manual (Rigol can be operated by menu or from a command line using a PC interface). There I learned that cursors can be used to make 33 different measurements of a wave and found this table:
upload_2016-3-30_14-50-57.png

So, what was "ITEMx"? That was hard to find, but at least it was described in the same document. The items here refer to the last 5 of the 33 types of measurements used. Making a small leap in faith, I assume that "ITEMx" is the same as "QUICKx" as both could logically (given some prerogative for the translator) refer to a shortcut to those measurements one might want to use based on what one had used most recently.

Now if only RIGOL has used words like last, penultimate, antepenultimate, preantipenultimate, and first measurement, the meaning would have been more obvious. ;)

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
UPDATE: "Quick 1-5" is described in the German version of the user's manual! The above interpretation is correct.

Die letzten fünf Meßparametereinstellungen werden gespeichert und können mit der
Softkey Taste Auto Item wieder aufgerufen werden (Quick 1-5 oder None).
John