Learning Microcontrollers

SSJVegetto

Joined Jul 15, 2011
Hello, i am new on this forum but i have done some work with microcontrollers in the past for school. I want to learn how to program, choose the correct microcontroller and actually how to design a system for instance for distance measuring. So my question is, is there someone willing to help or does someone know a good link to get started?

Back then i programmed a robot vehicle to follow a black line but i completely forgot how to do it and what i did back then.

Cheers, Bob

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I don't know how far back you were involved with microcontrollers but it sounds like it has been a while.

Today, the microcontrollers whether from the PIC family, the AVR family, or one of the others, you will find that they are a lot more user friendly. With the prevalence of In-Circuit Programming you no longer have to deal with erasing and programming eproms each time you want to try something new.

For less than $35 USD, you can get an ARDUINO UNO (see www.arduino.cc) and initially bypass the need to get intimate with the hardware. You can start writing programs in C-language right off the bat.

Maybe it would help if you give a bit more details of what you would like to do with a microcontroller. Also, what programming languages are you comfortable using.

hgmjr

IMHO arduinos are excellent little guys! They are a lot of fun to play with. They are, as hg said, pretty high level programming. I would recommend them for someone with little to no programming/embedded systems experience who just wants to learn and play around. They are also great for getting a prototype up and running fast!

However, if you really want to learn, i think you will want to dig a little deeper. I would suggest PIC. Super cheap to get into. Some of the easiest programming tools i've ever used. Tons of info out there and lots of people with experience to help out. You can program in C or assembly. Everything from itty bitty 8 bit devices all the way up to the dsPICs and 32 bit micros with all the bells and whistles. You can get dev kits for cheap. Or just get a chip and get goin! It was actually much easier to do get started than i expected.

Anyway... good luck!

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Also realize there's a tremendous amount of stuff to know about programming that has nothing to do with microcontrollers. Get yourself a copy of gcc/g++, gdb, and make and a good C/C++ book and teach yourself. There are oodles of books and websites out there; in fact, there's an embarrassment of riches...