learning ATMEL/PIC

sunnyimran

Joined May 11, 2012
Hi everybody,

(My first ever post in this forum)

I want some advice/opinion/guideline on my 'Learning of Microcontrollers'

I have designed a projet in Univ days ( DAS Data Acquisition System based on ATTiny2313 and using LM335 temp sensor through A/D ADC0832 writing in EEPROM 24c512 with a real time clock generatorDS1302.

All resources/tools I utilized from Univ. those days.
STK500 ( serial port ISP evualation board) was used as Development platfrom with AVR Studio 4. MCU programmed in C.

It had been a couple of years now and that project lying with me is not in functional state. for help in that I will post other thread. First need to refresh my learning by experimenting simple things first.

At the moment I am at a lack in tools/utilities for this. All documentation of this project submitted in Univ as part of course requirement. My copies are lost. Currently I am making its schematics.

Beside making it functional my this Atmel based DAS, I also want to experiment PIC Microcontrollers.

I need suggestion on this:

1- Prefering to build myself ATMEL evaluation/develpment programming kit based on USB please suggest (no serial/parallel port in my system)

2- Also wish to build myseld a USB based PIC evaluation/develpment kit or programmer

2- any recommendations for (free) softwares/tools for programming debugging ( AMTEL & PIC)

3- What simulator to use for ATMEL & PIC

4- any recommended books?

Please suggest

thanks

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
For atmel get AVR studio 4 (I don´t like the 5 or 6 much), and winavr. Winavr let´s you compile standard C and has useful libraries. Simulation can be done entirely in avrstudio both for assembler and C code. If you want to simulate serial ports and other peripherals, download hapsim too.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
For atmel get AVR studio 4 (I don´t like the 5 or 6 much), and winavr. Winavr let´s you compile standard C and has useful libraries. Simulation can be done entirely in avrstudio both for assembler and C code. If you want to simulate serial ports and other peripherals, download hapsim too.
download AVR Studio 4.18, AVR STudio 4.19 doesn't work with WinAVR :)

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
download AVR Studio 4.18, AVR STudio 4.19 doesn't work with WinAVR :)
It does, but each time you create new C project you need to set up the path to make and avr-gcc, which is just a few clicks but sure it is annoying. I have no idea why they had to change it.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
For PICs there is a ton of free tools, compilers, simulators, libraries, and examples free for the download on the Microchip website.

When going to real world devices the PICkit is an affordable programmer and oft debugger for many devices. The PICkit 2 is older, mature (I own 3 of them) and good for all but the newest devices. The PICkit 3 does them all I believe (I haven't got one yet) (and I do mean "yet"). They cost about $40 and $60 respectively. Don't get clones, you don't save much and do loose some.

sunnyimran

Joined May 11, 2012
Thanks for the responses

I will proceed with AVR studio 4 for my ATMEL project.
I refered to this book in Univ. times 'Prog & Customizing AVR microcontroller-DHANANJAY V GADRE'

contents seem now little old in this book.
If somebody can recommend me better books for PIC and ATMEL it would be very nice.

Also I am looking some cheap solution for USB based programming/evulation kit for Atmel and also for PIC.

PICKit 2 or 3 mentioned above are they based on USB interface with PC?

thanks everybody