Learn to use an Oscilloscope

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by oidium45, Jul 8, 2010.

1. oidium45

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Hello everyone,

I recently obtained an oscilloscope and was hoping that someone could point me in the direction of a good tutorial site for beginners. I have been browsing through google searching but nothing seems to be aimed towards rookies such as myself.

Any good info would be greatly appreciated!

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  3. oidium45

Apr 24, 2010
    Thank you for your response been there! I figured that some 555's would be in my near future :)

BTW, I think that your first link may have been wrong?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  4. bobbyrae

May 14, 2009
    When I got my scope, I ran across a document which I now have. It is called Using Osciiloscopes, but I cannot remember where I found it. So I zipped it up and added it as an attachment.

oidium45 likes this.
  5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    oidium45 likes this.
  6. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
  7. tom66

May 9, 2009
    oidium45 likes this.
  8. oidium45

Apr 24, 2010
    Thanks for the info everyone! (tom) funny- i didnt think to check the manufacurrr site for info. The scope is a tek

9. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    One of the things to do is just start playing with it. I'll never forget my first exposure to a scope. It was after a basic physics class in the 1960's and we had to work with Lissajous figures. I was captivated by the scope and asked the teacher if I could continue to play with the thing after class. I stayed 3 or 4 hours after class. My college had crummy resources (these were surplus Dumont scopes from World War 2), but they worked well enough to keep me entertained... :p

10. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    With a sine oscillator feeding the horizontal and music feeding a vertical channel you can make really dynamic Lissajous figures. Black Sabbath is exceptionally good for that.

11. Mart

Feb 11, 2011
    I'm also a beginner in Electronics Technology. Though I recently graduated from the program, I still don't know much about oscope. But mastering Oscilloscope is one of the requirements anywhere I apply for a job. This becomes a challenge for me. Also, I don't have any financial mean to get one at this time. If anyone has one, can he help in teaching me how to use it? Or does anyone know where I can learn that with some practices?
    Thanks for your time and consideration.

12. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
  13. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    Mart, perhaps if you asked a local school if you could trade some of your expertise in, say, helping them fix broken things, they might in turn let you use some of their equipment. Or offer to help an instructor set up some labs or somesuch. One of the tricks in life is learning to get creative and talking to lots of people with a variety of ideas -- let them know what you're after, what you're willing to do, etc., and an opportunity might fall into your lap. If you lived near me, I'd just invite you over and let you play with my scope -- I've got a number of them and they don't get used that much.

For that matter, put an ad in your local Craigslist saying you want to barter for time on a scope. It's likely some local electronics hobbyist or engineer will see it and figure out how you can help each other. This is your opportunity to show some initiative -- and it may lead to a whole bunch of things you'd never predict!