Learn how to use oscope: Can anyone help?

Mart

Joined Feb 11, 2011
I'm also a beginner in Electronics Technology. Though I recently graduated from the program, I still don't know much about oscope. But mastering Oscilloscope is one of the requirements anywhere I apply for a job. This becomes a challenge for me. Also, I don't have any financial mean to get one at this time. If anyone has one, can he help in teaching me how to use it? Or does anyone know where I can learn that with some practices?
Thanks for your time and consideration.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I take it that you don't have one.

Have a read-through of "Module 16 - Introduction to Test Equipment", here:
http://www.phy.davidson.edu/instrumentation/NEETS.htm
These modules were designed by the US Navy to get technicians proficient as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, just reading a book won't get you the hands-on type of experience that you really need.

Where are you located? It's a good idea to put your general location in your profile; at least your country and state or province; city/township is purely optional.

Mart

Joined Feb 11, 2011
Thanks for your quick replies. Also, thanks so much for the given Navy Link. It helped a lot, but the only problem is that I don't have any oscilloscope right now. It doesn't matter whether it is Analog or Digital Oscilloscope. I know the theory. I would like someone who can assist me in putting the theory into practice with his or her own oscope. I live in Bellevue, WA. - USA.
Thanks everyone.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
You can get a DSO Nano for $80, which is good up to about 50kHz (1Mbit Sampling rate) portable scope.

You can find analog scopes with 25-50Mhz bandwidth (2-5Mhz useful) off eBay for about the same cost.

Playing with one on various circuits and building circuits is the best way to learn.

They are very simple in theory, it's basically a voltmeter with a visual timer, that "slows down" voltages that vary faster than a meter could see. (volts are up/down, time is left-right)

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I'd suggest putting an ad in a local newspaper or Craigslist saying that you would like to learn to use a scope. You may then be able to hook up with a hobbyist or ham who wouldn't mind letting you use his scope. Offer something in return, like hauling some of their yard waste to the dump. Don't expect folks to do it for free.

Alternatively, offer your help to a local school that would have some scopes. Offer to fix some things for them, help set up a demo, etc. Get creative and persistent and something will pop out of the woodwork...