leaking from battery

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by obrcmc, Nov 16, 2009.

1. obrcmc

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 30, 2009
    i recently replaced my 600va ups's 12 v battery to a new one.but after a month ups is not giving backup and after opening i found that there's greenish discharge/leaking from +ve end.and blackish from -ve. can anyone tell me what is this and what i will do??
    plz help me

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    It sounds to me like your UPS is overcharging your battery, causing it to leak.

This could easily happen if your UPS is in a really warm place and if the UPS control circuitry does not monitor the battery internal temperature; most of them do not.

It could also be that the battery charge portion has gone bad; and it's just dumping maximum charge current to the battery constantly.

You might remove the battery, and connect an electrolytic capacitor across the leads for the battery; black lead to the negative side of the capacitor. Measure the voltage across the capacitor leads; you should read about 13.3v to 13.6v. If it's much higher or lower than that, the charger portion of the UPS is defective.

3. obrcmc

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 30, 2009
  4. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Classic symptom of chronic overcharge; the battery is toast.

5. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    If it is an APC Brand, or uses a size the same as APC, new batteries are freakishly cheap at Batteries Plus if you have one local to you. That way you don't need to pay shipping. I replaced one in a 1KVA for $14!

6. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Simply replacing the battery won't help until the cause of the overcharging is diagnosed and repaired.