Leakage current indicator

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by copucopu, May 26, 2014.

1. copucopu

Thread Starter New Member

May 26, 2014
    I am working on a project, an indicator which will indicate if there is current leakage from the power network to ground...
    The current will actually fill the capacitor and then the current will pass to an electromagnet, which will push a magnet taped on a rotating circle-> this will be the indicator. This is just an improvised prototype..So I hope you get the picture.

The reason that I am writing here is if you can suggest maybe a better electroemhanical solution for the indicator...
    And it must be an electromehanical element, that will use movement to trigger a GSM modul. This will inform me that the indicator was trigered.

I hope you understand what I am asking for.
    Thank you in advance and sorry for my lack of English.

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    How do you intend to detect if there is ground leakage, it is commonly done by detecting an unbalance between a live conductor and a grounded neutral.
    There will always be conduction from a power conductor to ground through a capacitor?
    Did you want to perform any other action apart from just an indicator?
    Max.

3. copucopu

Thread Starter New Member

May 26, 2014
    I don't want to be rude, but lets leave the background for now. The electromagnet will get the necessary current to magnetise...and then with some kind of movement, trigger the GSM modul to send a text message...
    I am searching for an improvement which will electromehanical trigger the GSM modul.

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Pass the moving part thru an IR break-beam detector? Pass the magnet over a reed switch?

You haven't given enough information to make more than a speculation.