leading power factor in capacitors

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by epicfrank, May 26, 2013.

1. epicfrank

Thread Starter New Member

May 26, 2013
    A confusion for quite a while, about the leading p.f in capacitors.

from past solutions, in calculation relating to p.f when writing impedence of a capacitor in complex form it should be (A-jB). if voltage source is applied then the resulting current is in form of X<-θ (angle), which leads its apparent power to be leading, gives a negative reactive power.

however what shown on my lecture notes is different from this, the leading p.f capacitors give a positive reactive power, just opposite from this

it confuses me so which one is actually right?

2. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    We would have to see your lecture notes to have the necessary context to interpret them.

Do they give the reactive power for an inductive load as a positive quantity, as well?

If so, then they are giving you the magnitude of the reactive power with the sign information being conveyed via whether it is leading or lagging.

3. epicfrank

Thread Starter New Member

May 26, 2013
    thanks for the reply

the coincidence is that i just got a email from my lecturer, the email mentions the difference between the lecture notes and past paper solutions, says there is a "alternative approach" of treating the power factor, so i have understand it now : )