Lead free equipment, any good?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by tarts, Oct 31, 2010.

1. tarts

Thread Starter New Member

May 27, 2009
    I just bought a soldering station which is for lead free soldering. Is there any difference in soldering station compared to "leaded tools".

I also want to buy some spare tips. I don't do lead free soldering, but can a lead free tip be used with leaded solder? Silver and tin should be even more corrosive so then lead free tips should be only better, no downsides right?

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    If it is a temperature controlled iron, there should be no difference. It will have to be set significantly hotter for lead free solder, since the solder needs more heat. To the old hands tin/silver solder is a major pain. The military tends to agree with this assessment, since there are significant problems (such as dendrites) with the newer stuff.

3. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Howeer adding some silver to common tin/lead is actually a good thing, that's what Tektronix used exclussively in their equipment for years. Doesn't raise the melting point of the alloy much at all yet produces far stronger joints.

4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Yes. The lead-free soldering tips are different.

Yes. See Hakko attachment below.

I don't see that logic. No one said that lead-free tips used for lead-free solder lasted as long as tips intended for lead. See Hakko.

Note: Bolding is mine.

John