ldr use

abjay

Joined Mar 14, 2014
Hi
I'm trying to build a 9v circuit that will operate a 8-12v latch at first light. The idea is to use a ldr to put power through to the latch, when the latch has opened a tilt switch then cuts the circuit until reset at night ready for the next morning. The only function of the ldr is to activate the latch in the morning, the trouble is I can't get it to work, I've wired the ldr in series with the latch and the latch will work if you short the ldr. Am I being too simplistic here? Can anyone help with a circuit diagram that would do the trick?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Do you have a diagram?
Can you show us how you are wiring it.

LDR cannot supply enough current . You need a transistor switch

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi
I'm trying to build a 9v circuit that will operate a 8-12v latch at first light. The idea is to use a ldr to put power through to the latch, when the latch has opened a tilt switch then cuts the circuit until reset at night ready for the next morning. The only function of the ldr is to activate the latch in the morning, the trouble is I can't get it to work, I've wired the ldr in series with the latch and the latch will work if you short the ldr. Am I being too simplistic here? Can anyone help with a circuit diagram that would do the trick?
The old Philips EE kits had various projects using LDRs, there's a website:
http://ee.old.no/library/ with scans of manuals in numerous languages. Some of the manuals don't include component values on the index of schematics - you either have to search through the manuals for one that does or search around for the component layout overlay cards.

Apart from the older kits that used germanium transistors (AF116 & AC126), there are no hard to find parts.

Just out of curiosity - didn't RoHS ban CdS LDRs?!

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
We need more details, such as the resistance of the latch or the current it needs at 9V, and some idea of the resistance (light or dark) for the LDR.

Attached is a PDF with three versions of a basic approach. The left one uses a standard small transistor, the center one uses a darlington transistor. The darlington has more gain, which means it will switch more quickly or sharply as the sunlight gradually increases, which should improve battery life. The right one uses an SCR, silicon controlled rectifier. This is a DC switch that latches on when its gate is triggered. It resets when it loses power. C106 is a popular series in a TO-92 package like small transistors.

For each of these, you'll probably have to adjust the resistor value based on the characteristics of your LDR.

ak

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
We need more details, such as the resistance of the latch or the current it needs at 9V, and some idea of the resistance (light or dark) for the LDR.

Attached is a PDF
That's a good starting place. :)
Drawings tell so much, but few people here post drawings.:confused:
A few more details and we'll have enough to work with.