LDO Regulator Board

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by eyybro, Jul 22, 2013.

1. eyybro

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Hello all,

I'm doing a simple LDO regulator board-build as a power management IC practice. Please refer to the attached image for a relevant schematic.

Originally, I intended on using an electrolytic capacitor for C1 to filter out noise and oscillations thereof. However, I could not find an electrolytic 0.12μF capacitor in my passive components kit, so I substituted with a ceramic capacitor.

The diode seen in the schematic is there to prevent chip destruction from potential reverse current; an unknown brand 1N4004 has been placed there.

The following link contains the datasheet for BA033T:

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/111555/ROHM/BA033T.html

I started analysis upon completion of the physical build, and I was able to attain data necessary to create an efficiency curve; however, the analysis entailed incrementally increasing the input voltage up to a certain point. Well, I obviously did not think things through when I was increasing the input voltage by 1V increments until I reached 12V, because when I reached 12V my board started exhibiting very chaotic, oscillatory current fluctuations until I quickly turned off the power supply. I immediately grounded all parts to rid the board of unwanted charge, and I tried to run 5V through the board. The board was designed to output 400mA at an input of 5V and an output of 3.3V with an efficiency of 90%~. My board now can ouput 400mA at an input of 0.84V. I had multiples of the same parts being used for my build, so I replaced every part considering the fact that I may have zapped a capacitor. This proved to be useless as I am still observing my board outputting 400mA at an input of 0.84V.

Would anyone be so kind as to explain to me what I may have done incorrectly?

Thank you!

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Do you use a large heatsink during your tests?

This is written in the datasheet:

A to high device temperature due to a to high dissipation can lead to this phenomena.

Bertus

3. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Agreed, at 12v in and 3.3v 400mA out, that little regulator was dissipating 3.48W. Then it died.

4. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    If it is an LDO, the output cap C2 will have ESR limits to maintain stability. Should be listed on the data sheet.