LDmicro/How to connect micro controller to PC?

HighVoltage!

Joined Apr 28, 2014
Is there a usb-to-breadboard connection onto micro controller? If so, what is it called...any links for purchase? What do you guys think of LDmicro?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Usually there is USB to USB (Arduino boards), RS-232 to RS-232 (newer pc don't have RS-232 connector, you may have to buy the cable with the connector and attach it to the RS-232 pins on the motherboard if motherboard has it, I have done that recently), USB to RS-232.

HighVoltage!

Joined Apr 28, 2014
Usually there is USB to USB (Arduino boards), RS-232 to RS-232 (newer pc don't have RS-232 connector, you may have to buy the cable with the connector and attach it to the RS-232 pins on the motherboard if motherboard has it, I have done that recently), USB to RS-232.

What Arduino Board can I purchase (not to expensive) that will allow me to program using LDmicro. I would like it to be compatible with LDmicro since I prefer the PLC form programming. Anything on Ebay or another site in which I can purchase?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
What Arduino Board can I purchase (not to expensive) that will allow me to program using LDmicro. I would like it to be compatible with LDmicro since I prefer the PLC form programming. Anything on Ebay or another site in which I can purchase?
What is LDmicro? Link?

Arduino boards connect directly to PC using USB cable. It is USB to USB connection. That is why Arduino is so popular. Arduino people removed all the connection issues.
This one is probably the cheapest: https://www.fasttech.com/product/1001700-arduino-compatible-uno-r3-rev3-development-board

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I find it easier to use the more common RS232 and if necessary pick up a couple of $$'s USB to RS232 adaptor.
Most PIC's have a USART module built in.
Max.

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
I find it easier to use the more common RS232 and if necessary pick up a couple of $$'s USB to RS232 adaptor.
Most PIC's have a USART module built in.
Max.
MCP2221 is great USB to UART/12C converter. Comes with software so it's really easy to set up.

Here is the screenshot with most of the settings available.
Capture.PNG

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
From reading that, author says that code for AVR is not very good. Arduino boards use AVR uC. So you get to choose, poor ladder logic AVR code, or possibly better code but in C language that you are not familiar with.

If you are short on time and got plenty of money, I would say use what you are familiar with, do PLC and ladder logic.

If you do have time, you can try PIC or AVR uC, or an assembled board that uses PIC or AVR uC, and see if you can get it to do what you need.