lcm and gcd using a calculator

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Hey guyz,

Was wondering if anyone here knows how to compute the gcd and lcm of a set of numbers (let's say 3 or 4 numbers or...) using a scientific calculator that does NOT have those functions?

BTW, gcd = greatest common divisor and lcm = least common multiple.

I know how to compute it manually (by hand) but for large numbers it takes time.

Thanks!:)

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you had ever used a slide rule it would be easy, you had to keep the exponent in your head with those.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I would imagine that you can find the LCD/LCM of the first two (LCD using the Euclidean Algorithm) and then the LCD/LCM of the result and the next value and proceed like that. That should be pretty efficient, at least for the LCD, since it is going to bound very quickly. I think the LCM will behave similarly.

Tesla23

Joined May 10, 2009
Hey guyz,

Was wondering if anyone here knows how to compute the gcd and lcm of a set of numbers (let's say 3 or 4 numbers or...) using a scientific calculator that does NOT have those functions?

BTW, gcd = greatest common divisor and lcm = least common multiple.

I know how to compute it manually (by hand) but for large numbers it takes time.

Thanks!:)
By hand - no better way than to use the associativity of LCM and GCD as WBahn suggests.

Otherwise, use Wolfram Alpha that lets you type
gcd(n1, n2, n3...) and lcm(n1, n2, n3..) and it will work it out.