LCD vs. Plasma

nanobyte

Joined May 26, 2004
What is the difference between LCD and Plasma TVs as far how they work? Also which is better....which is more durable, produce better quality picture, easier to work with....etc.

hi nano...
the name itself reflects the technology in liquid crystal display (lcd) i.e there would b two plastic sheets in between crystal in the form of liquid is poured... in certain amount and current is passed through the liquid crystal which allows/not allows the light to pass through the crystal depending on the picture...
and coming to the plasma's here the technology is based on the gases (certainly neon and xenon ) which releases the photon(light) based on the electrons collision... depending upon the picture generated...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I understand there is supposed to be differences in color resolution, similar to the old days of computer displays, 256 colors vs higher. I think plasma is somewhat behind, but I don't have the info in front of me and I'm no expert.

Frakk

Joined Jul 6, 2009
LCD is a technology that uses a backlight and a panel in front of it blocking and coloring this light according to the picture to be displayed. Plasma on the other hand is like CRT, the panel itself is the light source, each pixel is a tiny light (or 3 lights, rgb) and the intensity and combination of these colors will produce the picture.

Which one is better? Depends. Plasma is brighter, more vivid, prone to picture burn in, consume much more power. LCD lasts longer, no burn in, consume less energy, usually lower contrast rates. This is just in general, the newest models come very close in terms of picture quality.