LCD Question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by beeson76, Aug 5, 2010.

1. beeson76

Thread Starter Member

Apr 19, 2010
    You may remember from previous post that I am programming an LCD, and building my first LCD circuit. I am still having nothing but problems with it still, so I have decided to give it a short break and come back with a new perspective.

When I left it a couple of weeks ago, the LCD was only displaying 8 boxes on the first row and only 8 boxes on the second row. Can anyone tell me what could be the problem.

2. tom66

May 9, 2009
    When you say boxes, what do you mean... characters?

3. beeson76

Thread Starter Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Sorry, I should have been more precise. They are the black boxes that you get when your contrast is set up too high. I have searched the internet for what this could mean and I haven't found anything. Usually from what I understand, the black boxes should go all the way across the line, but these, are only in the first 8 spaces on both lines. It is a 2x20 display. But they could also in the last 8 spaces of each line too, just depending upon if the LCD is turned upside down. I think they are in the last 8 spaces of each line because all the wording (pin numbers and backlight pin letters) is rightside up.

4. tom66

May 9, 2009
    I think you should post some code. If I'm assuming a HD44780 display, that means you must have at least DB4-7 (DB0-7 if in 8-bit mode), RS, R/W and ENABLE connected, is this correct?