LCD Projector type device

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by prince_mallow, Feb 5, 2011.

1. prince_mallow

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Hello, I am glad I found a forum that seems perfect to help me find a lead or direction to the next step :D

Essentially, What I am building is an LCD projector, I have the projector part but I don't have the LCD.

I want to custom build the LCD (just buy the LCD and program it) but I don't know where, how, and who to find to see to acquire my specific requirements since I do not have the hardware know how I need, at the moment.

Let me give you the specs:
    I want to project an image but it has to be projected to it's highest quality and at the most resolution possible. (possibly 14megapixel if possible.)

I want to find three LCD panels which have their own individual color channel at the highest bit rate available. These LCD panels would be stacked on top of each other and separate the colors of the image projected. The image is static so there is no need to have it be able to preform video. So this would translate to:
    1. Red LCD panel
    2. Blue LCD panel
    3. Green LCD panel
    (Or alternatively Cyan, Yellow, Magenta)

The size I want, which can vary according to standards would be one 4inches by 5 inches. and possibly one eight by ten but I don't want to get ahead of myself so I am focusing energy on the 4x5

I will be projecting light through all three panels and need to be able to hook it up to a computer.

Can anybody please elaborate on what type of things I need to take into consideration, and where I can start to find LCD parts, or a manufacturer who would be willing to give a quote on building a custom designed LCD screen and whatever else you can give a man who has an idea but no knowledge of the industry? :D

I know this might be confusing so please tell me if it is so that I may clarify :)

2. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    Not even remotely in the DIY realm. Why not use a slide projector?

3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    You're looking for 7X the resolution of a 1080p screen, in a 4x5 LCD panel. Not gonna happen.

4. prince_mallow

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 5, 2011
    @blueroomelectronics:
    Because it is not a slide projector I am building, it just functions like one. Unless there is such a slide projector that would separate the three color channels I could just buy the LCD part of the projector.

@wayneh
    What would I be able to get at that size?

5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I don't know what state-of-the-art is, and I'm sure cost is a factor, but for instance the iPad screen is 1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (works out to 7.8"x5.8") and there are speculations that the next release will be 2048x1536 at a 260 DPI. So assuming SOTA is ~300ppi, 4"x5" would 1200x1500 pixels, or 1.8 mega-pixels.

6. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Are u looking for this
    [​IMG]

This is a RGB LCD, module. Three separate 1080i LCD

7. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    That's neat but a long way from 14 megapixels.

8. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
  9. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009