LCD programming

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by sk765, May 15, 2012.

1. sk765

Thread Starter New Member

May 15, 2012
    HI all,

I have just joined this forum mainly because I would like to get into programming embedded system. My C/C++ programming has gone rusty in the last few years, but it won't take me long to catch up.

Right now I'm just looking for some pointers to programming a LCD display. So, I really don't know what kind of hardware/controllers that might be needed to start my little project? Any pointers will help.

Thanks in advance!
  2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Depends on what is your definition of an LCD display and what are the using to drive it?
  3. jwilk13

Jun 15, 2011
    If you're talking about a simple character LCD, this little walk-through might be helpful. All you would need is a microcontroller and a display. Most displays come with built-in display controllers and can be purchased for pretty reasonable prices.

More info on your project would help us give more detailed information on what you might start with.
  4. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Hello I have working C code here:

Arduino is often used these days for character LCDs, there is a forum with information for this topic as well threads,

Also PIC16F or PIC18F are suitable for character LCDs.
    All you need is a PICKIT 3, and for instance a 16f884 chip.
    There is also developement PCB included for some packages.

The code on my site is using a 74HC164 so it can be used even with small PIC chips. It is fully working/tested.

Graphics LCDs are more complex but 128x64 also is not so difficult. I recommend if you never used PICs, try character LCD first.

More expensive developement packages also may include LCD already + working code.
  5. sk765

Thread Starter New Member

May 15, 2012
    Thank you all for your helpful responses.

I guess I wasn't specific enough about what I actually wanted to do: I want a display that simply will display the following when powered up/programmed:

1. Display characters with digits [a-z,A-Z, 0-9]
    2. Also, display it in different colors, may blue, green, red.

6. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    Most LCD's that the rest of the people on here are talking about do not have multi color capabilities.... you can buy a display that is either red, green, or blue, but that is all in the backlighting of the display, on the other hand, it sounds like you are talking about a TFT LCD type of display, which usually requires quite a bit more than a regular character LCD to do, but with those, you can also display color graphics and more..... and there are also the newer OLED type of displays..... you should check out this >> for different types of displays and interfaces..