LCD Monitor Gripe

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
What's with LCD computer monitors?

Yes, they are skinny and light weight. They have fantastic resolution, color, and amazing contrast ratios.

You plug them in and they work -- no sync, hue, or contrast adjustments.

But, dammit, I've gone through 3 expensive LCD monitors in 5 years.

I've got 20 year old picture tube VGA monitors that still work perfectly. I've never seen one fail. But I can't get an LCD monitor that survives much longer than its warranty period.

What's up with that?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Check the caps on the power board. I still need to replace one cap on mine. Now that I have a job, the first paycheck and I am ordering this part. Should fix my 22" Acer right up. Back to the 22" lcd from my 17" crt!

NorthGuy

Joined Jun 28, 2014
Funny, but during the years, all my tube monitors failed - including huge top-of-the-line SONY monitor which I bought ca 98 for $2K hoping it would help me to preserve my good vision (it didn't).

But I've never seen a flat monitor fail so far.

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
caps in the supply sections are the usual suspects. it depends if the monitor gets enough breathing space. they also need to be 105c rated.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
My 22inch LCD monitor failed recently after 6 years heavy use, blank screen, no power light.
Changed the 5 electrolytic caps on the power supply PCB and its now as good as new.

The biggest hassle was opening up the plastic casing around the screen.
Info on the web suggested inserting your finger ends between the screen and plastic surround. pulling the plastic surround and pop out the plastic clips.

I tried this and all I finished up with was bruised finger ends, so I made a simple right angled piece of 2mm thick hard plastic, about 2 inches wide.
Inserted this carefully between the edge of the screen and the surround, pulled and twisted the plastic 'tool', it came apart with no problems.
[it will make some expensive sounding cracking sounds as its pulled apart!]

Its important that you don't put any pressure on the screen itself, just pull and twist away from the screen.

E

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I've only bought one LCD monitor, and it failed after only a couple years. Now I have an LED monitor. We'll see how long it lasts before crapping out.

Ooops, I have to take that back. The LCD monitor failed on my laptop, but it was ~10 years old.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
As other poster have said, touch wood, I've never seen an LCD monitor fail and I've had them at home and work for well over a decade I guess. I've taken working ones away for recycling because I was upgrading but never had a failure

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Why?
That is probably where your problem is. If you want to fix it, you will have to look there first. If you don't want to fix it, then do please ignore.

Shouldn't they have just installed decent caps to begin with?
No. If they have done that, we would not have this conversation. The fact that we are having this conversation tell you that they did not.

Is this the new normal?
Yes.

That modern electronics should not be expected to last more than a year or two?
It will last until electrolitic caps pop.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I bought two 21" DELL LCD monitors at the NAU surplus store for $5ea about three years ago. Both were several years old when I bought them, and they are still going strong...

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Update.

Today replaced the popped capacitor. Installed the power board back. Hooked up my 22" Acer lcd to my pc and Everything Works Again! Me very happy.
Capacitor: $0.68
Shipping: $4.99

Old pic of the power board with the bad cap:

bad capacitor.jpg bad capacitor.jpg

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
I still have my 8-9 year old 19" LCD working fine like it's brand new.My friend has the same LCD screen maybe one series higher and he had to get it fixed twice,every time PSU died.I guess it just depends how lucky you are.