LCD and Microchip Board Help

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by beeson76, Jun 8, 2012.

1. beeson76

Thread Starter Member

Apr 19, 2010
    I am designing a new board that simply holds a PIC chip and interacts with a LCD. I may have a connector somewhere attached to the board through inputs on the chip, but mainly I want it just to "house" the PIC with pads for the LCD. I have included a drawing of the board. Drew it up in Autocad, so its not in Gerber or anything like that.

Im just mainly wanting suggestions, on if this board would work ok:):) or if there are design flaws, major or minor that I need to address.

Does anyone see any problems that I could run into. Im new at circuit designing, board design and mainly electronics in general. I would really like to "fix" the problems now before the board gets made.

Any help and suggestions (or criticism:)) are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the help.

2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    One thing I see is you seem to have tossed all the bypass caps into one corner: these are best placed "as close as possible" to the pins of the consuming device. With your generous pads you could get them closer to the PIC.

The other thing I see is there is not much difference between this custom board and some of the very inexpensive boards you can get many places, even Radio Shack for 3-4 bucks.

I don't use pads such as you have anymore, just a ringlet around each 0.1" thru hole. But I also like to drop down SMD parts as I don't like leads on my parts anymore, and I have a microscope to see when things get tight.

Overall it looks like it should work for you. If double sided is the same price double the pads and such. ExpressPCB specializes in small boards such as this.