LCD 20 X 4 Problem

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Hi,

Does anyone know what the problem is with this LCD module? Is it repairable, or do I get a new one?

Camerart.

Attachments

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Hi,
I checked the connections between the circuit and LCD, they are ok.
I tried the 18F4520 PIC in a separate circuit and it shows "LCD TEST" on all 4xRows, so the Program is ok, the contrast is ok.
It seems to me that it is a problem with the LCD, does anyone agree?
C.

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Something like that happened with a 2X16 LCD I had 4 or 5 months ago . One display worked fine; the other didn't. I could probe the zebra strips and make the missing pixels show life, but it certainly wasn't worth keeping that display.

John

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Hi D and J,
I've ordered new ones!
I have a few similar, and may try twisting the though circuit butterflies and see if alcohol fixes them. (Or ME:)
Thanks, C.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Anything is worth a try, but I have been singularly unsuccessful in fixing one of those zebra connectors. If I were to try something, it would be a very dilute solution of liquid laundry soap in distilled or deionized water (no fragrance or dyes would be my preference). In other words, threat them like vinyl lettering on a glass surface.

John

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Anything is worth a try, but I have been singularly unsuccessful in fixing one of those zebra connectors. If I were to try something, it would be a very dilute solution of liquid laundry soap in distilled or deionized water (no fragrance or dyes would be my preference). In other words, threat them like vinyl lettering on a glass surface.

John
Hi J,
Soap may be ok, or it may leave a film. I'll try alcohol first them soap, and let you know.
C.