LCD 16x4 bus

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by looper, Jan 27, 2013.

1. looper

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Hello boys,

I am planning to build one system with some 16x2 lcd displays managed by a central unit as an arduino or raspberry but I have not clear which components to use, trying to get as cheap as possible.

I thought about using bus RS-485 but I suppose I will need one board between display and the bus, right?

Which components could I use?

Regards

2. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
  3. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    I'd like to think there are some girls here too. But probably not many.

You didn't say whether you expect to buy a product to do this project, or if you're willing to make something. If you're going to build a device, you can do it with a single 74595 (I'd use the 74HC595) per LCD display. You can wire them all up in series, and then you'd just need 3 control lines to operate the entire setup. You mention RS-485 and maybe that's necessary, but it would depend on how widely separated your system is, and what the electrical environment is like.

4. looper

Jan 27, 2013
    It is for a all shop scenario, so you can get 2m-3m between each lcd and the master unit.

I need to build the sistem from scratch, lcd, master unit, communication, enclosures...

My electronic knowledge is low, so I prefer interconnect modules instead to build a new one.

Regards

5. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009

Actually, I would think that most people around here are men and women. Not sure of the ops intent but the term "boy" is considered an insult by a significant segment of Americans. One of a sensitive nature.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  6. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Whatever, boy. :D

7. looper

Jan 27, 2013
    Dear boys and girls :)

I see that module supports UART so I suppose I must use one MAXNNNN to communicate via a rs485 bus, right? Do you know any other module for this task?

Regards

8. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    Hah.
    Here's one. It's single-ended logic, not RS485--I don't know if that makes it better or worse for your project.
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/258