LC Circuit with Diode

shespuzzling

Joined Aug 13, 2009
Aaaaaalright, I think I'm with you now. Thank you both for your help!! Just to clarify:

The instant the current is zero in the circuit, the diode opens, and that means that current can't flow anyway, so di/dt=0 and the voltage across the inductor is 0. However, if you had the same circuit without the diode (and assumed 0 resistance), the voltage across the inductor at the instant that the current goes to zero would be -Vs, and the voltage across the capacitor would still be +2Vs. This holds with KVL. Back to the diode circuit, since the voltage across an inductor can jump, would it be fair to say that its graphical representation would look like the attached image? Sorry about the poor graphics and disregard the numbers, I don't have any fancy graphing software at work.

And then, since you now have an open circuit (because of the 0 current) and it is negatively biased across the diode, there's no chance of it reopening, and that's all she wrote.....

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I 'm afraid you forgot to attach an image. But why post another since I have done it for you in post #19? And who is "she", who wrote that "there's no chance of it reopening"?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Georacer,

Those oscillations are not as bad on TINA so I'm assuming it's certainly based on the settings of the number of samples.

Anyway, here is the a circuit consisting of 1 mH, 10 uF, and a 1N4001 diode. The timed switch turned on at 500 uS and remained on till 1 S. Attached is the voltages and current in the circuit.

Attachments

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Thanks for testing. I refuse to re-simulate it again on my computer though. I always say that it's a trivial circuit and I will not need it anymore and always delete it. As a result I have constructed it about 5 times so far. It's just not worth the trouble.

Tina looks neat and with a clear interface, but I have been working with Multisim for quite some time now. It is a complete, professional package, from simulation to PCB exporting and I don't want to let it go.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I use the Tina Educational version ....and have since version 5. They have PCB exporting and breadboarding with this version.

It's tough to change. I started with electronic workbench, pre-Multisim days. Multisim's version 1 interface led me to leave Multisim. I haven't downloaded the free version of multisim from NI, to see how they have improved the interface.