'.lbr' files from Cadsoft Eagle; add to permitted attachments?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I was reminded earlier today by John (jpanhalt) that .sch and .brd extensions (Cadsoft Eagle extensions) were added to the permitted upload list several months ago.

Could '.lbr' (.LBR) extensions be added as well, with minimal effort/difficulties?

There probably won't be a lot of activity with this particular file extension, but it may come in handy in some circumstances.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
There's always a trade-off. An allowed filesize of 100k would handle 80% of the files that I have; larger files could always be zipped.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
3,315k!
It zips to 693k, though. I would think that 100k-200k would be more than enough for general utility use - if someone had a much larger .lbr file, they could always zip it up and attach that.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
3,315k!
It zips to 693k, though. I would think that 100k-200k would be more than enough for general utility use - if someone had a much larger .lbr file, they could always zip it up and attach that.
3+MBs! That's a whopper!

I think the most sensible option is to set the limit to 200kB. As you say, if members wish to upload a larger file they can either Zip-it (which has a 2MB limit) or upload it to some other source from where the file can be obtained.

If in future, we find this file size limit is too restrictive, then we can evaluate the settings once again.

Let me know if there are other file-type that would be of use for the general attachment settings.

Dave

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Just to throw in my 2c, the server hosting AAC still has a ton'o'space available, so I'm not particularly worried about file size limits. My thinking is if a file benefits users of AAC, it's worth hosting regardless of the size (unless we are talking GBs :) )

Rob

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
While I agree in principle with jrap, EAGLE provides another outlet for really large libraries. Many users use the freeware version, and it would certainly be of great help to the community of users to share large libraries there.

Remember when we had 64 K of Ram and 20 MB disks. What seems like a lot of memory is soon inadequate.

It would seem that limiting the .lbr upload to 200K would suffice for providing help on projects and sharing unusual parts.

John

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Rob,

I'm happy for you to liberalise the file size limits across the board if necessary. After all the feature isn't abused here - the attachment usage for all members across the whole forums is only 273MBs.

I agree with Rob, if it is a user benefit then do it. You guys are the users, and if you feel there is a tangible benefit is opening the limits up then we can look at doing it. The site admin will monitor it and if it does start to become a issue then we can address the issues as needed.

There is always a flexibility to practicality trade off to be made.

Btw, if there are other file types that may be of use, let us know. It is no difficult task to add them.

Dave