Lazer Blaster Ray-gun Sound

mtonge

Joined Apr 19, 2016
So...I thought I might contribute something to the forum. I have been learning about the 555 timer/oscillator chips, and about using transistors as switches. I played around with various resistor and capacitor values and ended up with a pretty neat noise maker.
LazerBlaster.png U4 is on for about a second to run the rest of the circuit. U5 oscillates about ten times a second to warble the tone generated by U6. The 47uf capacitor (C10) attache to pin 5 of U6 makes the sound more fuzzy. Without it, it sounds like a telephone. I bread-boarded this circuit, and now I need to turn it into a widget for the grand kids. Maybe they will want to learn to make electronic toys too.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I could use a similar effect for a stalled project, a gun shot sound. Or more accurately a machine gun sound. I have an antique arcade machine gun that needs sound.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I could use a similar effect for a stalled project, a gun shot sound. Or more accurately a machine gun sound. I have an antique arcade machine gun that needs sound.
That I can help you with. I have some antique sound chips - the datasheet describes how to make a gunshot sound. Do you have a logic signal that would initiate the sound? How would it work?
- One gunshot per logic signal, or,
- a group of ten shots per logic puls, or,
- a continuous stream of gunshots as long as logic is high (or low?).

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
That I can help you with. I have some antique sound chips - the datasheet describes how to make a gunshot sound. Do you have a logic signal that would initiate the sound? How would it work?
- One gunshot per logic signal, or,
- a group of ten shots per logic puls, or,
- a continuous stream of gunshots as long as logic is high (or low?).
I'll have to think about that. The 'gun' has a trigger(switch) on it and probably it should keep making 'shots' as long as it is closed.

mtonge

Joined Apr 19, 2016
So far, I have only been learning about digital signaling. One of my loftier goals is to recreate this using op-amps. I'm hoping that I can make many different (spacey) noises with analog signals. I have been reading about op-amps, but I can't make any real progress until I get some and plug them into a breadboard. My breadboard power supply is 5 volts DC. I'm not sure how to run an op-amp with DC. Possibly a low ohm voltage divider to provide +- 2.5 volts?

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
So far, I have only been learning about digital signaling. One of my loftier goals is to recreate this using op-amps. I'm hoping that I can make many different (spacey) noises with analog signals. I have been reading about op-amps, but I can't make any real progress until I get some and plug them into a breadboard. My breadboard power supply is 5 volts DC. I'm not sure how to run an op-amp with DC. Possibly a low ohm voltage divider to provide +- 2.5 volts?
Do you know about the old SN76477N? There's still some stock on the planet apparently. A google search will yield many interesting links and it's been discussed here before so a search of old threads will also get results.

https://octopart.com/sn76477n-texas+instruments-2280273

mtonge

Joined Apr 19, 2016
Awsome chip! I have to ask Santa for one of these. They are still available, but expensive. There are many posts lamenting the discontinuation of this complex sound generator IC. With all the sound effects this chip can produce, there must be a comparable IC in production today (I hope so anyway). I found a good tutorial regarding op-amps as astable multi-vibrators, and I intend to learn how to use them (they're pretty cool too). Since this is the completed projects forum, I will post pictures and parts list of the above circuit as I breadboard it (again) and complete it as a toy for my grandson Danny.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Awsome chip! I have to ask Santa for one of these. They are still available, but expensive. There are many posts lamenting the discontinuation of this complex sound generator IC. With all the sound effects this chip can produce, there must be a comparable IC in production today (I hope so anyway). I found a good tutorial regarding op-amps as astable multi-vibrators, and I intend to learn how to use them (they're pretty cool too). Since this is the completed projects forum, I will post pictures and parts list of the above circuit as I breadboard it (again) and complete it as a toy for my grandson Danny.

Let me know if you want to try an AY-3-8913 (same as AY-3-8910). Parallel interface with microcontroller needed.

mtonge

Joined Apr 19, 2016
I'm back online after the semester break. I tried to recreate this circuit and ran into some problems. The original schematic that I posted is incorrect. It doesn't work. The 555 oscillators are not configured to run in astable mode. Below is an updated version.
LazerBlaster_updated010417_schem.png
Note that pins 2 and 6 (trigger and threshold) on U2 and U3 are now reading the voltage across the capacitors to ground. Also, the gang of flashing lights are now connected to the high side of the transistor. The transistor would not turn on with the load running off the emitter. I learned a lot while reworking this project. Below is a Fritzing breadboard image of the circuit.
LazerBlaster_bb.png
The actual (working) breadboard version is not pretty. Making small wires and fitting them on the board isn't easy. When I get it worked out, I intend to make a hard wired version on an Adafruit, 1/2 size proto-board.

mtonge

Joined Apr 19, 2016
Moderator;
Please move this thread to the Projects forum. This is not a completed project. I would welcome advice and comments to help me bring this to completion. Thanks, Mike Tonge.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
I'm back online after the semester break. I tried to recreate this circuit and ran into some problems. The original schematic that I posted is incorrect. It doesn't work. The 555 oscillators are not configured to run in astable mode. Below is an updated version.
View attachment 118068
Note that pins 2 and 6 (trigger and threshold) on U2 and U3 are now reading the voltage across the capacitors to ground. Also, the gang of flashing lights are now connected to the high side of the transistor. The transistor would not turn on with the load running off the emitter. I learned a lot while reworking this project. Below is a Fritzing breadboard image of the circuit.
View attachment 118069
The actual (working) breadboard version is not pretty. Making small wires and fitting them on the board isn't easy. When I get it worked out, I intend to make a hard wired version on an Adafruit, 1/2 size proto-board.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
There is a book called IC 555 projects by E.A Parr published by Babani. Their catalogue no. is BP44,.... ISBN no. 0-85934-047-3.
I bought a copy some years ago and it is very informative on possibly all aspects of it and how to use the device.
It includes many practical schematics some of which are sound generators. I gave a copy to a youngster just starting electronic theory at school, and after he showed it to the teacher, they bought a dozen copies for the students to use.

mtonge

Joined Apr 19, 2016
I just ordered the book. Thanks for the recommendation. Triple 5s are pretty cool. I would like to get an understanding of op-amps. I can imagine they would be better for making interesting sounds than 555s.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I just ordered the book. Thanks for the recommendation. Triple 5s are pretty cool. I would like to get an understanding of op-amps. I can imagine they would be better for making interesting sounds than 555s.

OK mTonge, what model farmall is that in your avatar? It looks like my old Model M but it is too blurry to confirm.

mtonge

Joined Apr 19, 2016
I also just ordered Timer, Op Amp, and Optoelectronic Circuits & Projects written by Forrest M. Mims (ISBN-10 0945053290).