Layer missing on PCB??

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by MaxHeadRoom, Apr 20, 2015.

1. MaxHeadRoom

Thread Starter Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I am trying to get a boards made by a Popular Chinese PCB site.
    I sent Kicad originated Gerber files but they keep coming back and saying
    '"Your file is missing two layer resistance welding".
    I have no idea what they are asking for?
    Anyone enlighten me.
    Max.

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    http://www.we-online.com/web/en/ind...1/englisch_2/Designguide_WIRELAID_0813_EN.pdf

http://www.tech-etch.com/flex/flex_design_guide.pdf

Neither seems to answer your question, but they may give a clue as to what that error means.

The first link includes an additional modifier, braid. I suspect if one were using braids, he would know. There is a separate Gerber layer for that.

So, my guess is that the description about welding in the second link is closer to the problem. Do you have blind vias connected to some but not all layers above them?

It will be interesting to hear of your experience. My experience with iTead(iMill) was mostly positive. It took about 1-1/2 weeks longer than Oshpark, but they also shipped many more boards than I ordered -- I was expecting 3 and got 10 or 11. Dimensions were accurate. The main negative was no bottom silk screen.

John

MaxHeadRoom likes this.
  3. MaxHeadRoom

Thread Starter Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Thanks, I think I have it sorted (hopefully) now, The reason for the confusion is the on-line Kicad manual for plotting suggested Gerber files does not exactly jive with the version I am using, so the couple of files that were missing were the top and bottom solder, not sure why they refer to them as resistance welding layers?
    Max.

4. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Most likely because the don´t actually speak english.

5. evan_wang

Apr 27, 2015
    there should have some misunderstanding between you and the factory , is your board asking impedance control ?

6. MaxHeadRoom

Thread Starter Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Just an ordinary 2 sided board, nothing fancy, we got it sorted, but evidently '"Your file is missing two layer resistance welding" means top and bottom solder layer, it would have been fairly plain at the beginning had they said this off the bat.
    I have no idea where the term resistance welding in reference to a circuit board manuf comes in?
    Max.

7. evan_wang

Apr 27, 2015
    which software you are using for this board?

8. MaxHeadRoom

Thread Starter Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Kicad. Gerber export/plot.
    Max.

9. evan_wang

Apr 27, 2015
    May I have your file, I'd like to try it .
    Evan.

10. MaxHeadRoom

Thread Starter Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    The original files or the added ones?
    What company do you represent?
    Max.