Latency measurement

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by shambhunath, Jun 4, 2015.

1. shambhunath

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Hello guys,

i need a suggesation for the measurement of latency between my camera and monitor.
    My camera is HD-SDI CCTV camera and Frame grabber, Nvidia GPU i am connecting between camera and monitor.
    i need to measure the latency from camera to monitor please suggest me the possible way of set up.

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    First I think we need to understand the nature of the connection between the camera and the monitor. Can you give us the physical details of that interface?

3. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Comparing the camera output to the monitor would be difficult. BAsically, you could point a flash at the camera and a photodetecor at the display, examine the digital video output stream from the camera to detect the change in brightness and time the delay to a similar output from the photo detector. Monitoring the digital video stream for brihtness change will be the hard part.

Something that might be good enough, and a lot easier, is to time the difference between firing the flash and seeing the result in the photodetector pointed at the screen. The result will include the latency in the camera along with the rest of the system you want to measure.

A sketch, block diagran, or schematic of your setup would help.

ak

4. shambhunath

Jun 4, 2015

Thank you for replying.
    Yes, your right I need to calculate the time delay between when camera captures the flash and displays on the monitor. But how to measure is the question?
    I have a plan of using oscilloscope which triggers when firing of the flash happens to store the time of input and keeping photo detector in front of the monitor and connecting it to oscilloscope and comparing the final waveforms with the input. Do this work?
    other ideas are also welcome.

5. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Yes, that should work. The timing resolution will not be very good, but you will be able to see the signal from the photo detector and optimize it for best results.

ak

6. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    Easy- just get an LED to blink, no need to mess around with a flash unit.
    Connect the blinking LED and photo transistor to oscilloscope, trigger sweep from LED channel.

Point LED at camera, place photo transistor on display screen, measure delay on scope.

7. shambhunath

Jun 4, 2015
    Oh really...!! may I know the which LED and photo transistor is to be used...? I mean part numbers if possible.

8. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    You can use almost any LED, no need even to build a flasher, just use a switch to turn it on and off.
    Any garden variety photo transistor should work, you might need to experiment with the pull-up resistor values a bit to get a decent signal out of it, but as long as you see something on the scope, you got it.