latching solenoid valve

In over my head

Joined Jun 28, 2014
As the name says! !! I have an rpe 6vdc latching soleniod valve for water. Lets clear that up. Its 6vdc 2.25w 25ms 375 ma. What do i need to get this to work.plain english please. Activated by a float switch in a tank of water on rise.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You need a 6 vdc power supply of some kind, only 375ma, so it could be a battery source or a wall wart.
You also need a way to control it, how is it latched/unlatched, by dual solenoid coil?
I see according to the site, it is a single coil but you reverse the voltage to latch/unlatch apparently.
You will need two push buttons, both with a normally open and a normally closed contact on each.
I can whip up a circuit if you need it?
Max.

Last edited:

In over my head

Joined Jun 28, 2014
im told that the latch / unlatch is done by a h bridge and this is where i get lost. I know what it is just not how to install it or what the best kind is.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Can be done with relays.

Filling tank? Off on rise?

One switch or two?

With only one switch it may cycle on and off a lot.

In over my head

Joined Jun 28, 2014
Ok.pipe feeds small amounts of water through the valve over time then the tant/bottle/container is full a float sensor conects power from a plug supply 6vdc to the latching solenoid. Has to be latching as it may go unnoticed for as long as a day. Any ideas?

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
So do I understand? It's a safety shutoff to prevent overflow.

Normally on.
Overflow latches off until manual reset.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
This is a way to operate the coils in a momentary fashion, 20ms pulse to latch/unlatch as per the data sheet.
The P.B.'s are 3 contact, 2 N.O. 1 N.C. to interlock.
Now I see you have edited the OP which changes things!:confused:
Max.

Attachments

In over my head

Joined Jun 28, 2014
Yes to prevent over flow. No too small for toilet valve though i did consider that. max dont shorten words to letters your dealing with an electrical idot here

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Seems to me a simple normal off solenoid would be better.

It would turn off with power failure or overflow.

In over my head

Joined Jun 28, 2014
Ah yes but rpe say you cant energise the soleoid for long times this could go for more than a day someone suggested called a mosfit? If ive got that right

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Somehow I cannot see 350ma causing any problem?
Who is the 'someone'?
Usually these type of latch solenoids just use a Permanent Magnet retainer that either attracts or repels the core depending on the polarity.
Max.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
+1 Max

How about a link? I can't find information about duty cycle.

The holding current can be reduced easily, but will take a timer to cut it to zero.

Attachments

In over my head

Joined Jun 28, 2014
Max. There are lots of someones with lots of ideas what i need is the simplest way to latch this solenoid with the rise and fall of the liquid and maby latching circuits may be required maby not? This may also mean changing the float switch to two way acting. I guess i need someone to draw me a picture

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Max. There are lots of someones with lots of ideas what i need is the simplest way to latch this solenoid with the rise and fall of the liquid and maby latching circuits may be required maby not? This may also mean changing the float switch to two way acting. I guess i need someone to draw me a picture
Now that's something different.:confused:

Others seem to catch on quicker. I, however, need an exact explanation of the cycle.

Standard solenoids can be energized 100%