Latching Relay Circuit Won't Latch

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by russellb33, Apr 9, 2016.

1. russellb33

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Hi,

I have a latching relay to switch a drill on/off but it will not latch. I have looked at the diagram for hours but can not see why it won't latch. I have removed the load in case there was some odd interaction between the motor and relay coil but it still does not latch. I suspect there is some fundamental error in my circuit but I cannot see it. Any advice would be great!

Wiring Diagram.jpg

Thanks.

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
  3. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    The middle contact should be in parallel with the switch, not in series.

4. russellb33

Apr 9, 2016
    Thank you for the replies.

I suppose it would have helped if I had labeled the switches / relay contacts. As I see the circuit (in my updated diagram, attached) when I press sw2 (ON), the relay energises & connects rs1 to the power supply via sw1 (OFF) thus keeping the relay energised. Unfortunately, reality begs to differ. Please excuse the dodgy labeling.

MaxHeadRoom, I have had a look thru the link you provided but I am still not sure what you mean by a retaining contact.

Dodgydave, with the updated diagram, could you point me toward the contact you are referring to.

Wiring Diagram 2.jpg

5. russellb33

Apr 9, 2016
    Turns out I had mis-read my rely wiring diagram and therefore wired the outputs of the relay(rs1/rs2) backwards. My bad. The circuit works now though! Thank you for the responses.

6. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Why do you post those dark, hardly to read, pictures?
    I inverted one and changed the gamma a bit:

russellb33_wiring2.jpg

Bertus