Latches, Flip Flops and what nots?

carnage123

Joined Feb 18, 2006
I am currently reviewing and trying to understand latches and flip flops. So far, its fairly easy to understand the functions. But do we really have to know all these steps in these circuits. I mean, I get enough out of programming already, and now this stuff is really interesting and all, but for a test, do we just need to know a basic understanding of how it works, and not a whole essay on one circuit. I also want to ask because memory and cpu's contain millions of these things in them and I am just wondering what is the point of learning this unless I work for Intel, AMD, Asus or any other computer company. I'm in the networking program and even though Digital Electronics is my favorite course I'm only learning the basic concepts, without actually teaching us how to make/fix "real" circuits (mainboards, cpu's etc...) I am starting to find this course useless in perspective to my work field. Also, the fact is I'm only taking introductory course to digital, it ends there....I wish it could go on next semester but because this is as far as I'm going, the fact is its pointless, useless and a waste of my time. Can anyone here who has done networking honestly say they have fixed (Even possible without high tech equiptment and absolute skill in soldering???) main memory, CPU, Flash Memory, MB, Chips etc... without first thinking about the less time consuming alternative of replacing it?

chesart1

Joined Jan 23, 2006
Originally posted by carnage123@Mar 21 2006, 06:40 PM
I am currently reviewing and trying to understand latches and flip flops. So far, its fairly easy to understand the functions. But do we really have to know all these steps in these circuits. I mean, I get enough out of programming already, and now this stuff is really interesting and all, but for a test, do we just need to know a basic understanding of how it works, and not a whole essay on one circuit. I also want to ask because memory and cpu's contain millions of these things in them and I am just wondering what is the point of learning this unless I work for Intel, AMD, Asus or any other computer company. I'm in the networking program and even though Digital Electronics is my favorite course I'm only learning the basic concepts, without actually teaching us how to make/fix "real" circuits (mainboards, cpu's etc...) I am starting to find this course useless in perspective to my work field. Also, the fact is I'm only taking introductory course to digital, it ends there....I wish it could go on next semester but because this is as far as I'm going, the fact is its pointless, useless and a waste of my time. Can anyone here who has done networking honestly say they have fixed (Even possible without high tech equiptment and absolute skill in soldering???) main memory, CPU, Flash Memory, MB, Chips etc... without first thinking about the less time consuming alternative of replacing it?
[post=15263]Quoted post[/post]​

Hi,

My name is John and I am a retired software/test engineer. If you are interested in electronics, then learn as much as you can for your own gain. You don't know what will happen in the future. You may become interested in embedded systems software. The field of embedded systems engineering requires a knowledge of electronics, network communications and various programming languages.

Today, most soldering is done by people on the assembly line because of surface mount technology and multilayer printed circuit boards.

Unfortunately, most colleges do not offer much regarding troubleshooting experience. Your troubleshooting skills are derived from your knowledge and your experience. Here is a link to a trouble-shooting guide:

http://www.circuittechctr.com/guides/guides.shtml

If you enjoy it, it is not a waste of your time.

John

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by carnage123@Mar 21 2006, 06:40 PM
I am currently reviewing and trying to understand latches and flip flops. So far, its fairly easy to understand the functions.
[post=15263]Quoted post[/post]​
Trust me, the more you know, the more valuable you will be to a future employer. The very best technicians can review and critique the work of most engineers, and most engineers don't mind it one bit. Troubleshooting and repairing a mission critical system requires a broad range of skills, not all of which are taught in school. Use your schoolwork to lay the foundation, there will be plenty of time to build tall buildings.

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
You keep saying you are doing networking. To what level?? Are you going to be employed as a black box changer? The router has failed, unplug it and put a new one in. This would be very mundane. Would you not like to know why or how it failed? How about be able to actually fix it?

Think also along the lines of a car engine. You have been told to remove and replace the heads. Do you know why you are doing this? Has something caused them to fail?

We could apply the analogy to almost anything we do in life. Electronics is huge and will continue to grow. Or I guess shrink would also be correct. You mentioned that all these flip flops and latches are in CPUs and memory chips. They can be found in a much wider filed than that. All the way down to discrete components in some circuits.

The course you are doing is probably part of a bigger overall course. Unfortunately it is hard for a college to cater for everybody. I would recommend that if you are interested in electronics at component level to seek out further education. It will be well worth your while.