last minute ? on drill

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Mathematics!, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Ok , orignal somebody on this forum suggested buying a drill press to drill my holes on my etch PCB boards.

They suggested this drill press
    http://www.dremel.com/en-us/AttachmentsAndAccessories/Pages/AttachmentsDetail.aspx?pid=220-01

Which I want to get but I notice it doesn't come with the drill when I start to buy it.
    This is only the press I would like to buy the same drill or one that would work with this press. (must be real good quality ,...ie last long ,...etc)

I am curious what drill I should buy for this drill press ?
    Also need to know where to buy the drill bits for the drill as well and what sizes I should start off with.
    Thanks

Thanks for any help

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  2. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    It looks like you just buy a Dremel drill to go with this Dremel Press. The Dremel is a handy little drill that most of us use for drilling small holes, as well as grinding, sanding polishing using the various bit-inserts that are sold for the Dremel. The press kit you are showing is good for small hobby work. The Dremel usually comes with an assortment of small drill bits. You can also buy some at your local hardware store or online. Just choose a diameter that is about 25% larger than the pin diameter of the parts you are using. (1/32 inch or 0.5 mm often works). Those bits can break very easily, so use caution and wear eye protection.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  3. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    which Dremel drill would you guys recommend? (I.e works well with the press and is really good, precise cuts , and has enough drag settings so the bits won't break as much)

Since the drill press is only around $30 I am willing to get a really good Dremel drill and spend alittle extra.
    I am looking for a link to the drill I should buy....

Thanks for your help

4. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    Maybe someone else can give a more detailed answer with model numbers.

However, I would get a model with variable speed, and get the bit-chuck that allows various diameters bits to be used. Dremels usually have 5 standard bit diameters, and you need to keep swapping out the inner sleeve to match the diameter of the bit. This works fine, but it's faster if you have the variable chuck.

Then again, if this is dedicated to PCB drilling, and you don't expect to change the bit-size, then the variable diameter chuck and variable speed might be a wast of money. Personally, I would like having more flexibility.

5. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    For drilling and particularly for routing pcbs you need a high speed. At least 10,000 rpm.

For working on metal and wood you need much lower speeds 10 to 100 times slower.

Also make sure the tooling (bits, grinders etc) are rated for the speed you are using. They will work better that way and be safer.

6. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    So does anybody have a link to what I should get.
    I am mostly going to use it for the purpose of PCB drilling but if possible want to have the ability to do general purpose stuff like drilling holes in walls , .... etc etc.

I am unsure about what Dremels drill to get my price range is anything under or at $150. But if it goes a little over or under I don't mind.
    Just looking for a link so I can buy it online (I want it new nothing from ebay )

Taking into consideration all your comments I just want a link to a drill that I should get that works with that press.

Thanks
    I am not very knowledgeable on the right drills...
    And really am in a rush for xmas
    As well as the drill bits I should start out with....

7. HarveyH42

Jul 22, 2007
    ATTACHMENT FOR USE WITH DREMEL
    ROTARY MODELS 275, 285, 295, 300, 395,
    398, 400, 780 AND 800.

...from the online user's manual... I've got the 395. Just your basic motor-tool, 5 speeds 5k-30k RPM. I use an 8" bench top press for PCB, 1700 RPM (I think), works fine, spent $44 for it. Kind of tempted to get one of these though, just for boards. Seldom use the dremel anymore, but use the drill press for a lot of other things. Hate having to re-adjust it, back and forth, also my number on carbide bit breaker (careless). $30 ain't bad, to relieve myself of a hassle.

8. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    Of these models which ones the best?

Also when I buy the drill and the drill bits will I need anything else that doesn't come with the drill or press? Hopefully after all these seperate things I don't have to buy anything else but I looked thru the online manual and I am wondering if I need this rotary toll wrench , mounting wrench , rotary tool collets ....???

Or does this stuff come with the drill or press... just want to have all the pieces???

Anyway main question is what drill model is the best for the press???

Thanks

9. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    Seriously, any Dremmel rotary tool will work with the Dremmel Drill press attachment. Get the variable speed one that goes to 30,000 RPM's, if you can, stay away from rechargeable cordless ones, the batteries are crap. These rotary tools come with an assortment of cutting tools already, but NOTHING for PCB drilling.
    You do not need the variable size collete (although it could come with the tool) for different sized shafts, these variable size collets suck! and they will bind up on you after a while and usually in the middle of something you are working on, and they are not good for drilling PCB's since they produce too much wobble ...

Most PCB applications you will need PCB Milling Drill Bits.... I do not know where you are located since you do not show your location, but if you are anywhere near a Harbor Freight get these bits that I mentioned in the other post....

[​IMG]

you get 2 10 packs of Milling Drill bits for PCB work, for only $4.99. They have a 1/8" shaft (.125") that fit the standard Dremmel collet.

Trust when I say that you will not be able to buy everything you will ever need for your dremmel all at once, unless you are planning on spending thousands of $$ on accessories and attachments. Dremmels are used in so many different ways and applications that the need for new bits, cutting discs, routers, ball end cutters, drum sanders, flexible shaft, etc. will never cease.

ALL the tools you will need to attach a Dremmel rotary tool to the Dremmel Drill press will come with the press.

My .02

10. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    How is this drill

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I am think of getting this drill model 300 with this drill press already
    posted in first post

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/AttachmentsAndAccessories/Pages/AttachmentsDetail.aspx?pid=220-01

As for the bits

I am located in MA so if it is possible to give me a link to a site to order these drill bits that would be great.

Thanks and is their any reason why I shouldn't get these drill or drill press.
    Is their anything that would be bad about getting these items for PCB drilling ,...etc

I think these would be perfect to use (i.e the drill and press) but any opions against this are welcome.
    If nobody post against this I am getting it.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009