Laser Sensor

james211

Joined May 29, 2012
I purchased a laser sensor for a trigger system I have called camera axe, cameraaxe.com. The downfall of the laser, used in combination with a light sensor, is that it is too sensitive to vibration. I have been in touch with a gentleman on another forum who replaced the laser with an IR LED. He still uses the same light sensor though.

What I'm looking for is someone who could possibly translate what he's telling me into some sort of a schematic. I have a feeling he is an older gentleman as it seems he's not too computer savvy. Here is a quote from what he wrote me:
Recently I have moved away from lasers because the sensitivity to vibration is just too high. With a tight beam a very slight movement can cause the flash to fire prematurely.

A good substitute is an IR LED. The beam is broad and uniform enough to reduce vibration issues. With proper mechanical set-up I can easily detect a pellet. I also find that by putting a trimpot in series with the LED I can change the output and tune the sensitivity of the set-up. And if the IR beam is in the view of the camera, it does not show up.

It's working better for me than the laser did. it is true that the beam is invisible, but using an LED as a detector output indicator, it is really easy to "see" when the IR is hitting the detector.

• So my questions are, how do I build something like this?

• Parts list, seems mouser has a ton of IR Led's, also not sure about trimpots or what resistors I may need as well.

• Where in the circuit of the light sensor can I place an LED as a detector? -see attached schematic

I've attached schematics of the light sensor and the current laser. If you are interested in the forum post that I posted my original question about the laser on, Click Here.

Any guidance would be so much help.

Thank you!

Wiki Links:
Laser
Light Sensor

Attachments