Laser Printer Driver Board Component Identification

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by jarshvor, Dec 3, 2013.

1. jarshvor

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Hi folks,

I've had this board sitting in a drawer for a while now. It came from an ancient monochrome laser printer; an old lexmark if I remember correctly, can't be sure.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88058/PC036594_2.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88058/PC036595.JPG

Anyway, I'm trying to identify the nature and purpose of the unknown optical component to the right of the laser diode. It seems to be facing a tiny mirror by the edge of the frame. I am intrigued as to what it could be, as to its function in the electro-static image creation process.

If I understand it correctly all that should be needed is the laser beam coming from the diode, bouncing off the gyrating mirror and through the plastic lense into the roller.

Also, is there any way to estimate the designed running values for the laser diode? (running voltage, wave lenght?) What is the typical wattage of a diode from a laser printer. Im guessing quite low? Im trying to determine if it can be used for some crude laser engraving tests, or if I should save it for something else.

thanks

2. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    Just a guess but it looks like it could be used to detect when the beam was in a certain position, like a start/endpoint of the scan. It would work for each of the 4 faces of the rotating mirror.

jarshvor likes this.
  3. jarshvor

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 3, 2013
    aha, true. Could be. I hadn't thought of that.
    Any word on the laser diode power of such printers?
    thanks

4. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    It'll be very low power laser diode like the kind you find in a pointer, else it would do damage to the drum. It's not going to cut through anything.

5. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Good point, and hi Bill. :)

You can get higher power lasers from DVD burners, especially the high-speed ones as they need more laser power to run the disc faster and still burn. There are lots of instructables etc about using DVD lasers for melting things and wood burning etc.

PackratKing likes this.