Laser eye treatment

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dextrous, Mar 26, 2008.

1. dextrous

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Hi,

My friend has a power of -10 in both eyes.She's planning to undergo eye surgery.I wanted to know if its safe and are there any side effects due to this.Also does it correct the eye power.

Thank you in advance.

2. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Depends on the technique used, but if she is going to a reputable clinic, then it is very safe. -10 is quite bad, mine is -3.75 and I'm blind as you come! She should expect to still have to wear glasses after the operation for tasks such as driving, watching TV etc, but her general vision should be much better.

Good luck to her.

Dave

3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    I went to see about the possibility of PRK or LASIK several years ago. My corneas were not thick enough for the procedure, even though my vision isn't really terrible (100/200 uncorrected, slightly better than 20/20 corrected). Some eye doctors will just go ahead anyway, even though the corneas are thin; if further corrections are needed, there won't be enough cornea left.

A friend in her 30's had LASIK performed three years ago. After two years, her vision changed - and she needed to wear glasses again.

Such surgeries won't help with myopia (loss of ability to focus from near to far); they'll more likely make it worse.

However, with your friends' vision being so poor right now, they'll need a LOT of correction. You might suggest that she see at least two different eye docs for an evaluation - and preferably docs that don't advertise on billboards, radio or TV.

I'm no eye doc. However, I feel that it's likely she will still need glasses or contacts within a couple years of the surgery, even if they somehow manage to get her 100% corrected the first time around. The lenses will certainly be much thinner, though.

4. dextrous

Mar 25, 2008
    Cheers !!!
    Thanx a lot for your rep:)

5. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Myopia is near sightedness. That is what LASIK treats best. I think you were thinking of presbyopia (loss of accommodation).

As for treating extreme myopia, one of my daughters got
    it done - both eyes at the same sitting. She is impetuous, but very happy with the result (several years ago). Another daughter with worse vision has been told to wait (she's -13 or something). There are great advances on the horizon, such as using femtosecond lasers to sculpt inside the cornea and perhaps pharmacologicals to change the R.I. of the aqueous humor (front chamber).

My advice is to wait. If you can't wait, go for under correction, maybe as much as -2 or -3, and correct any astigmatism. That way, she will be functional without glasses, and when old age sets in, she won't need reading glasses to get dressed.

John

6. dextrous

Mar 25, 2008
    cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Al Mond

Mar 6, 2008
    some wonderful insights. Thank you all. I'm 87 y/o and was considering lasik for astigmatism mainly. Don't mind glasses, but the astigmatism is hard to live with. Any good suggestins. Al Mond

8. chesart1

Jan 23, 2006
  9. Salgat

Dec 23, 2006
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthokeratology

This seems to be the alternative to lasic surgery without the need for wearing contacts or glasses during the day. The main benefit is that it is temporary, since you wear the contacts while you sleep.

10. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    As the article says, it is basically an old technique. Even earlier than stated in the article, people slept with weights on their eyelids, which provided some relief from nearsightedness. John

11. RaoulDuke

Apr 11, 2008
    I am an old Fart......and I want a pair of glasses with a freakin' knob on em!
    Then I can set them for what I am doing. Whether driving a car or soldering surface mount parts..........just turn the little knob and put everything in focus.
    It will happen someday.....I am sure of it!

12. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Adaptive lenses are in fact being developed. The principle is not much different than that involved in LCD's. John

13. RaoulDuke

Apr 11, 2008
    I know....but the question is, will they be available in my lifetime?:D

I would pay a lot of money for a pair today!

14. Salgat

Dec 23, 2006
    You could always put water sacks in your cornea and squeeze a hand pump to adjust the magnification..

15. MusicTech

Apr 4, 2008
    well, I know we are talking about nearsightedness but if this anecdote helps:

My great uncle needed glasses to read. One day he just decided to stop wearing glasses and strain his eyes. he is now 90 and when my dad, who is a generation younger, goes to visit him they will sometimes read the newspaper. My dad finds it hysterical that he [my dad] will take out glasses to read, but his uncle, who is a generation older will just sit down and read the newspaper, no glasses necessary.

Maybe the best corrective lenses are in our brains.

16. RaoulDuke

Apr 11, 2008
    More likely I think it is training the muscles. But something to consider, nonetheless.........I'm gonna try that! Maybe my eyes are just fat and lazy and need some exercise.:D

17. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    If all else fails, curl your index finger to make a tiny peephole and look through that . Not much field of view, but it will be in focus. John

18. MusicTech

Apr 4, 2008
    haha. very true. I suppose you would begin to look a bit ridiculous though.

Making your eyes do sit-ups

19. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    It's a variation on the peep-hole (pin-hole) camera or aperture sight. It apparently is still used by some marksmen and hunters.
    See:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_sight

The technique has been known for ages. John

20. lg00111

Apr 22, 2008
    I am having eyes problem since my 4th standard and started wearing spectacles since my 5th standard at school.

But during my 6th standard I accidentally discovered that when I pull the skin at the corner of both eyes to back side then my visions get corrected and I can see the far vision very clearly, and hence when I forget my spectacles at home to school then I used to this technique to see and read the blackboard. And this technique also works for me today...............The wonder is that I still have not talked to doctors about this logic.

But if any one with low vision want to know this technique in more detail then he can ask.

Also if any other already knows about such a technique then try to discuss here.