Laser eye treatment

dextrous

Joined Mar 25, 2008
Hi,

My friend has a power of -10 in both eyes.She's planning to undergo eye surgery.I wanted to know if its safe and are there any side effects due to this.Also does it correct the eye power.

Thank you in advance.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Depends on the technique used, but if she is going to a reputable clinic, then it is very safe. -10 is quite bad, mine is -3.75 and I'm blind as you come! She should expect to still have to wear glasses after the operation for tasks such as driving, watching TV etc, but her general vision should be much better.

Good luck to her.

Dave

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I went to see about the possibility of PRK or LASIK several years ago. My corneas were not thick enough for the procedure, even though my vision isn't really terrible (100/200 uncorrected, slightly better than 20/20 corrected). Some eye doctors will just go ahead anyway, even though the corneas are thin; if further corrections are needed, there won't be enough cornea left.

A friend in her 30's had LASIK performed three years ago. After two years, her vision changed - and she needed to wear glasses again.

Such surgeries won't help with myopia (loss of ability to focus from near to far); they'll more likely make it worse.

However, with your friends' vision being so poor right now, they'll need a LOT of correction. You might suggest that she see at least two different eye docs for an evaluation - and preferably docs that don't advertise on billboards, radio or TV.

I'm no eye doc. However, I feel that it's likely she will still need glasses or contacts within a couple years of the surgery, even if they somehow manage to get her 100% corrected the first time around. The lenses will certainly be much thinner, though.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Such surgeries won't help with myopia (loss of ability to focus from near to far); they'll more likely make it worse.
Myopia is near sightedness. That is what LASIK treats best. I think you were thinking of presbyopia (loss of accommodation).

As for treating extreme myopia, one of my daughters got
it done - both eyes at the same sitting. She is impetuous, but very happy with the result (several years ago). Another daughter with worse vision has been told to wait (she's -13 or something). There are great advances on the horizon, such as using femtosecond lasers to sculpt inside the cornea and perhaps pharmacologicals to change the R.I. of the aqueous humor (front chamber).

My advice is to wait. If you can't wait, go for under correction, maybe as much as -2 or -3, and correct any astigmatism. That way, she will be functional without glasses, and when old age sets in, she won't need reading glasses to get dressed.

John

Al Mond

Joined Mar 6, 2008
some wonderful insights. Thank you all. I'm 87 y/o and was considering lasik for astigmatism mainly. Don't mind glasses, but the astigmatism is hard to live with. Any good suggestins. Al Mond

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
As the article says, it is basically an old technique. Even earlier than stated in the article, people slept with weights on their eyelids, which provided some relief from nearsightedness. John

RaoulDuke

Joined Apr 11, 2008
I am an old Fart......and I want a pair of glasses with a freakin' knob on em!
Then I can set them for what I am doing. Whether driving a car or soldering surface mount parts..........just turn the little knob and put everything in focus.
It will happen someday.....I am sure of it!

MusicTech

Joined Apr 4, 2008
well, I know we are talking about nearsightedness but if this anecdote helps:

My great uncle needed glasses to read. One day he just decided to stop wearing glasses and strain his eyes. he is now 90 and when my dad, who is a generation younger, goes to visit him they will sometimes read the newspaper. My dad finds it hysterical that he [my dad] will take out glasses to read, but his uncle, who is a generation older will just sit down and read the newspaper, no glasses necessary.

Maybe the best corrective lenses are in our brains.

RaoulDuke

Joined Apr 11, 2008
well, I know we are talking about nearsightedness but if this anecdote helps:

My great uncle needed glasses to read. One day he just decided to stop wearing glasses and strain his eyes. he is now 90 and when my dad, who is a generation younger, goes to visit him they will sometimes read the newspaper. My dad finds it hysterical that he [my dad] will take out glasses to read, but his uncle, who is a generation older will just sit down and read the newspaper, no glasses necessary.

Maybe the best corrective lenses are in our brains.
More likely I think it is training the muscles. But something to consider, nonetheless.........I'm gonna try that! Maybe my eyes are just fat and lazy and need some exercise.:D

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
If all else fails, curl your index finger to make a tiny peephole and look through that . Not much field of view, but it will be in focus. John

lg00111

Joined Apr 22, 2008
I am having eyes problem since my 4th standard and started wearing spectacles since my 5th standard at school.

But during my 6th standard I accidentally discovered that when I pull the skin at the corner of both eyes to back side then my visions get corrected and I can see the far vision very clearly, and hence when I forget my spectacles at home to school then I used to this technique to see and read the blackboard. And this technique also works for me today...............The wonder is that I still have not talked to doctors about this logic.

But if any one with low vision want to know this technique in more detail then he can ask.

Also if any other already knows about such a technique then try to discuss here.