Laser Cutting for Hobbyist

KCHARROIS

Joined Jun 29, 2012
Hello,

I'm in need of getting parts made from a laser cutter, does anyone in AAC know of a company that can do this for low quantities?

Thanks

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
It would help if you told us whee you are located. It helps if the Laser company is local if you have never done Laser cutting before...
My first Laser-cut parts were done by a company that also does trophies. A local company that sell plastic sheet also has a Laser cutter.

KCHARROIS

Joined Jun 29, 2012
It would help if you told us whee you are located. It helps if the Laser company is local if you have never done Laser cutting before...
My first Laser-cut parts were done by a company that also does trophies. A local company that sell plastic sheet also has a Laser cutter.
I live in Toronto, Canada. I need at least 1/32 to 1/16 inch thick steel cuts.

Thanks

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Have you searched under "metal laser cutting Toronto?" There are numerous hits.

I had some 5/16 steel plate done here a couple of years ago: http://www.repko.com/ The quality was good and the price was quite reasonable. It accepted both pdf as well as common CAD (e.g., dxf) drawings.

John

KCHARROIS

Joined Jun 29, 2012
See I have searched this and have found companies but I was hoping I could get a referral since I need low quantity pieces and the majority of them will probably ask for high volume.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
See I have searched this and have found companies but I was hoping I could get a referral since I need low quantity pieces and the majority of them will probably ask for high volume.
The companies that cut plastic for me charged by the hour. There was no minimum quantity . You may be able to find a local company that charges the same way for metal. I would call a few metal fabrication shops and ask. Any good shop will give you a referral if it is a service that the do not do.

KCHARROIS

Joined Jun 29, 2012
The companies that cut plastic for me charged by the hour. There was no minimum quantity . You may be able to find a local company that charges the same way for metal. I would call a few metal fabrication shops and ask. Any good shop will give you a referral if it is a service that the do not do.
Found the company called LaserNNet, they explained there was not minimum quantity needed. Will see how it goes from here.

Thanks Everyone