Large LED Display Interfacing w/ C

Nessel

Joined Nov 28, 2013
Hello,

I am looking for some information on large indoor LED Displays that can interface with a PIC16F887, or any microcontroller for that matter. So far google hasn't yielded any useful information regarding this. At this point I am wondering if it is even possible for this combination to exist. The type of LED I am looking for would be along the lines of these:

http://www.ledsite.ca/Toronto/LED/M...ic_Displays/Indoor/SingleLine/SingleLine.html

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I haven't used that product, but from the info shown it appears they are programmed by serial of different formats, the PIC is capable of at least RS232, I would think the programming information format is available from the manufacturer or comes with the unit?
I would imagine it being fairly simple, ASCII char and simple line commands?
Max.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
There are several types of displays on that page, ranging from simple 7-segment displays, thru simple RGB text, on to full color video displays. Each type is going to need it's own suitable controller.

The first step is to pick which type of display you are interested in. Follow that by what data goes in, gets stored, and how the display gets driven.

The last step in this process is to choose which PIC to use.

Meixner

Joined Sep 26, 2011
A PIC can be programmed to do those serial formats, however you would also have to connect the PIC to some type of keyboard and maybe it's own display to compose the message to be sent to the led display. It may be less trouble to just use an old laptop thats just sitting around not being used.