large lcd display

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by BobW55, Mar 4, 2012.

1. BobW55

Thread Starter Active Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Anyone have information on a large LCD display?
    I am familiar with standard 2x16 , 2x20 displays, but want something with larger digits.
    I am replacing an analog meter that is in a 3 1/4" x 1 3/4" opening.
    I would really like to use the existing Cabernet and not have to modify the opening.

Thanks
    Bob

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Well, I had some larger LCD displays, but they were graphically oriented - they used a completely different set of commands than the typical 2-line or 4-line LCD displays.

I can't even remember what controller they used, and my documentation is all on computers and drives that are in storage. Sorry, I'm not much help.

You would have to use a microcontroller to drive the display.

3. RamaD

Dec 4, 2009
    If it is for a meter, then Numeric ones should be sufficient - search in digikey for LCD Module, and, then shortlist to 7 segment. About 1/2" ht character height is standard, but more are available.
    The ones I have used, have separate pins for each segment (not multiplexed!). You need to drive the pins out of phase with the common to make them 'lit' and in phase to turn it off - common needs to be pulsing.
    If it is for a meter, then ICL7106 has all the circuitry to do that interfacing for a 3 1/2" digit meter.

4. BobW55

Jul 22, 2008
    I thought about the numeric displays but I need text as well.
    I plan on using a PIC and some other hardware to give me rotational information in degrees -90 through 0 to 360 +90 degrees. Just would be nicer to have a bit larger digits than what a standard LCD display offers.

5. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Have a look at this LCD from Sparkfun:
    http://www.sparkfun.com/products/710
    About 2"x3"; that's just an example. Sparkfun isn't exactly the cheapest supplier around, but they generally provide a decent amount of documentation and examples for their products, where applicable.

Sparkfun also has a very good tutorial for Cadsoft Eagle, if you need a schematics capture and PCB creation software package.

RamaD likes this.
  6. BobW55

Jul 22, 2008
    Nice looking display.
    After looking again at my last use of a 2x20 display, I think I will just use a standard 4x20.
    It will fill the space nicely and I can make it more high tech looking with the 2 extra display lines. I thought about a graphing LCD but a bit above my head to program.
    I used flowcode on my last project and was very pleased with it.