Large germanium SCRs

billbigrig

Joined Dec 21, 2010
Howdy,

I read recently, somewhere, that large capacity germanium SCRs are being produced. If this is true, I would be very interested as the lower threshold voltage would allow smoother operation of handling large heavy loads during intricate stacking and placing of pallettes. Toyota forklifts are nice, but the little jerk when inching a heavy load, especially on a slight uphill incline, makes material handling a bit difficult at times. If any one has info about this, it would be greatly appreciated.
Rig

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Nothing comes up in search for this.(nothing that qualifies as newer than the old 60's 70's stuff)

Silicon characteristics are better than germanium for rectification, so its doubtful.

Silicon Carbide? I think is being looked into for use in ultra high temp environments. SiC is the Three letter nick name for the family.

timrobbins

Joined Aug 29, 2009
Rig, I suggest it is the control circuitry that you need to focus on, not the type of SCR. The on-voltage of the SCR has little if anything to do with your issue.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I'm not sure any such were ever produced. Germanium transistors are so leaky that it might be hard to tell when a Ge SCR was off.

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
Surely if its germanium it would be a GCR rather than an SCR, and no I've never heard of such a device either. As beenthere says leakage in a germanium device would seem to be a problem and it would be exacerbated by the temperature sensitivity of germanium.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
I'd contact your local Toyota dealer to see if they've had similar complaints, the few we have (of any brands) made by them operate like butter melting.