Laptops don't keep time

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by strantor, Jan 27, 2013.

1. strantor

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I've got 3 laptops and none of them keep time. 2 of them I rarely use so I'm not 100% familiar with their symptoms, but I'll describe the symptoms of my daily driver:

At first I thought it just quit counting time when I turned it off or it went into sleep mode. Then I noticed that when I would turn it on, I would set the time, and after a few hours of work (no power down or sleep) it would be off again by an hour or so. It will count "time" just not correctly. It's too slow.

All 3 of these laptops have spent extended periods of time (months) at the back of the closet. I suspect the MOBO batteries but I thought that when powered on, it would use the main battery to keep time, so I was thinking maybe there's more to it.

2. toffee_pie

Oct 31, 2009
    batterys are on the main board connecting to the bios, these keep time etc stored.

usually a 2032 cell

3. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
    what you need to do is remove and replace the battery on your motherboard,switch back on and set everything up in your bios again and you should be ok

4. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Set up Windows time server service so it stays synchronized with the atomic clocks (time.nist.gov is a good one). ntp is the same service on linux.

A $3 wristwatch keeps better time than most computer boards. The temperature changes a lot, altering the crystal/circuit frequency, in addition, when windows is running, it updates the "correct time" as well, and if the system gets loaded down, the clock can lose as much as 15 minutes a day!.

Set up time sync either through windows, or a freeware program called "Atomic" which keeps the clock set. On linux, manually run ntpdate time.nist.gov as root.

If the motherboard battery is bad, you'd have to set your time on each boot, in addition to BIOS options.

strantor likes this.
  5. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    cmos battery or you accidentally set your settings for one time zone over. I've done that before. You manually reset it to the correct time, but it will then go online and convert it back to the time zone you selected. These are the two most common issues with time.

6. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    I think this is the problem. He's got it set to autosync time but he's accidentally selected Central instead of Eastern. Or vice versa. So he turns on machine and its an hour slow. He manually sets it an hour ahead, then when the autosync kicks in it resets it an hour back.

7. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Not a laptop but my now defunct PC had an old battery which made time keeping impossible.

Subtle (or maybe not so) effect was that sending emails with the wrong time (and date!!!) made them being rejected as "too old" by my provider. A good one cured all.

maxpower097 likes this.
  8. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    Nah, it's inconsistent. Some days it will be an hour behind, sometimes two, sometimes 4 or 5 days behind if I haven't set the proper time in a while.

I'm going to replace the battery just as soon as.... I get fed up enough with the clock.

maxpower097 likes this.
  9. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Just download Atomic Clock Sync And set it to update the clock every hour while Windows is running and you should be good to go. Windows will write the correct time back out to the motherboard RTC, and that program will set the correct time on each boot.

No more headaches!

I have run it on servers that have a dead battery on the motherboard (each boot the BIOS config needs to be re-entered, a slight pain, but reboots are rare). It keeps them happily running the correct time, which is needed for a mail server and to keep file versioning systems from messing up.

10. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    LIFE. SAVER.

Ok, that's a little dramatic, but I'm just happy I don't have to go inside the laptop. I hate going into laptops. Thank you very much.