Laptop Inverter for Backlight

dmshropshire

Joined Dec 1, 2013
Hey guys, need a bit of help. Basically I have ripped on old Laptop in half to integrate into my workbench. I want to hang the screen on the wall and the other half of the laptop will be mounted in the bench. Everything went great until I tried to extend the cable from the inverter to the backlight on the LCD screen.

I attempted to extend it about 2 feet. Ive tried bigger gauge solid and stranded core wires. The best result I got was a half lit screen. What am I missing? Is there another way to power the backlight?? Every time I go to read it with a multimeter it blacks out like all power was cut to it.

I have found little to no help on google, all clues for some reason exclaim that the invert cable must stay the same length as manufactured.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Inverters have very high output impedance. Locate the inverter close to the screen and extend the supply to the inverter instead.

dmshropshire

Joined Dec 1, 2013
I believe it is a CCFL backlight from what research ive done. Picture of the attached is the inverter. Its for an Acer laptop 5100. I can take more pictures if needed.

How difficult would an LED upgrade be? I have had this inverter replaced twice, so if it isnt to bad I think it would be worth it to do it.

The only reason I have not extended from the source is because the wires are so tiny and I have very little wire to work with.

This is the very screen - http://www.amazon.com/AU-OPTRONICS-B154EW04-SUBSTITUTE-REPLACEMENT/dp/B003TP8JBK

Thanks for the replies!

Attachments

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Thin tube FL inverters are not usually that critical. I've used 12v ones to 10 inch FL tubes and wires longer than 2 foot with no problems.

But really if it won't work with long wires between the inverter and backlight, then you will need to source another inverter or mount your inverter close to the screen.