Laptop batteried question

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by Joe24, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Joe24

Thread Starter Active Member

May 18, 2007
    Hello all,

I have a general question about laptop batteries and chargers. Can I charge a laptop battery with any charger or does it absolutely have to be the specific charger for that specific laptop battery?

Also, If I have a battery that uses say, a charger with the following output ratings: 19V 4A. Is it ok if I use a charger with slightly higher ratings, say,
    20V 5A ??

What issues to I need to be concerned about?

thanks

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The laptop should contain the charge regulator, so the extra volt shouldn't matter (it won't mess with that extra amp capacity). It might end up with some extra heat to dissipate as a result, so make sure the laptop has good air circulation.

That said, using any charger but the factory-approved one will void your warranty instantly. If this is important to maintain, then consider getting the correct charger.

3. Joe24

Thread Starter Active Member

May 18, 2007
    So wait, the laptop itself has a charge regulator or the laptop battery has a charge regulator? Or put it another way, when I plug the output of the AC adaptor to the laptop, does that voltage/current first go through the laptop then into the laptop battery or does it go directly into the laptop battery?

Thanks

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The laptop contains a number of DC-DC converters to make each of the internal voltages from the external DC supply or the internal battery. There is also a battery charger that allows the external supply to charge the battery while operating on the external supply.