Laplace transform problem

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by xxxyyyba, Jul 11, 2013.

1. xxxyyyba

Thread Starter Member

Aug 7, 2012
    My task is to solve circuit below using Laplace transform:
    [​IMG]
    Firstly, I solved it using complex numbers and I got:
    [​IMG]
    I'm sure it's correct. Here is my solution using Laplace transform:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's obvious that solutions I got using complex numbers and Laplace transform are different. Where did I make mistake?

2. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    My first guess would be that you aren't using the same driving function in both cases. Hint: The transform you used is the single-sided Laplace transform.

3. xxxyyyba

Thread Starter Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Should I use two-sided Laplace transform? Just to mention that I don't have any problem in RC circuit analysis using single-sided Laplace transform.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  4. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    But a single-sided transform means that the function being transfomed is taken to be identically zero for all time t<0. But the steady state analysis you did first assumes that the sinusoidal voltage is, always has been, and always will be sinusoidal.

Do you expect a circuit that has been running in sinusoidal steady state to have the same response for t>0 as the same circuit that has a sinusoidal source suddenly turned on at t=0?

5. xxxyyyba

Thread Starter Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Does it mean that my calculations include both transient and steady-state response?

6. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    I would expect it to.

But you answer has more than one problem. Notice that it is always positive. Does that make sense?