Laplace transform of f(t)=1?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Are you sure you want a bilateral and not a unilateral transformation?

In the bilateral Laplace transformation you have \(\int_{-\infty}^\infty \exp^{-st}dt = c(\frac{1}{s}\exp^{\infty \cdot t})=\infty\), which isn't very useful.

On the other hand, the unilateral transformation gives \(\mathcal{L}(c)=\mathcal{L}(c\cdot u(t))=\frac{c}{s}\)

Take your pick.

Last edited:
theoretically ... it doesn't exist..if u apply bilateral Laplace transform...... but u can take it as
f(t) = u(t)+u(-t)
F(s) = 2/s... for practical needs.. u can use it..

logicman112

Joined Dec 27, 2008
Why the integral from -infinity to +infinity seems to be infinity if we integrate directly but seems to be 2/s if we integrate by u(t) and u(-t)?

Last edited:

logicman112

Joined Dec 27, 2008
How do you define u(t)? for t>0 it is +1 , for t<0, it is 0 but I take it +1 for t=0.
This way f(t)=1 is not u(t)+u(-t) for every t!!!!

logicman112

Joined Dec 27, 2008
I can not type integral symbols and so on. As You wrote before and you may have forgot!!it, the result of the integral is infinity. But another way is the separation of 1*e^(-s*t)*dt to (u(t)+u(-t))*e^(-s*t)*dt. If you integrate from -infinity to +infinity from the latter expression, you will have 1/s+1/s.
It is very simple, please do it yourself.
my question remains: Why the two different solutions by you and the other friend leads to completely different answers!!!!

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I had some inaccuracies in the first post, but I don't see anything different in the result.
However, you have to define very well what it is that you want to transform. I will integrate the function f(t)=1 from -infinity to infinity. I emphasise that this is different from f(t)=u(t).

So here it is. With one integral:
\(\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-st}dt=-\frac1s\cdot(e^{-s\infty}-e^{s\infty})=\\
-\frac1s(-\infty)=\\
\infty\)
for s>0. For s<0 the result is \(-\infty\), useless either way.

With the integral broken in two:
\(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-st}dt=\\
\int_{-\infty}^0 e^{-st}dt + \int_0^{\infty} e^{-st}dt=\\
-\frac1s(e^0-e^{s\infty})-\frac1s(e^{-s\infty}-e^0}=\\
\infty+\frac1s=\\
\infty\)

You see that the result is the same either way.