Language help

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
There a big difference between the best way to learn the fundamentals of something and how it works in the nitty-gritty and the best way to learn how to be efficient and productive at getting something working and out the door.

And then there're big differences between how two individuals best learn something and even how the same person learn's two different things. Some people internalize things better if they start from a low level and work up the layers of abstraction (I tend to be that way regaring most things) while others internalize better if they can start with a highly abstract big-picture view and progressively hang the details on it. In practice, with most things we tend to start in the middle somewhere and move out in both directions over time.

I content that, most of the time, the best level of abstraction to work at is one that is basically adjacent to the level of detail you are trying to deal with. If someone is trying to learn how a microcontroller works internally, I think working with assembly is a much better choice than working with C. But if they are trying to learn how a TCP/IP stack works that is running on that microcontroller, then they are better working in C than assembly.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
It may be the way you did it. It's not the way I did it. It's not the way the majority of people do it either.

If assembly is so good, why is it used in just a slim minority of cases?

Got a recent want ad for assembly programmers?
I'm willing to debate this, but not in this thread (my bad for initiating the hijack). If someone wants to start a new thread, I'll enthusiastically re-engage.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Ok, So I first entered in .500 and it did not effect it at all. Never tried a smaller number to speed it up. I will try that. So I had it correct when I tried to change that number to change the speed. When it didn't work it just confused me.
Any uninformed programmer might expect that changing a loop counter from 244 to 500 should expect a change in behavior of the program. Lo and behold, the change produces the identical result.

Know your basics. Know the architecture. Know assembler.

Here is a classic example of:

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.