Land-line Emulator

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by jpanhalt, Oct 5, 2010.

1. jpanhalt

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I am considering going entirely wireless for phone and Internet. The Internet is probably no big deal.

For the telephone, I simply like the feel of a handset and the ability to dial while still listening.

Is there a cell phone or docking station one can use with a cell phone that would give the same "feel" as a land-line phone?

John

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    jpanhalt likes this.
  3. Nik

May 20, 2006
    One snag: When the power goes out, cordless base-stations stop working and cell-towers over-load with frantic calls.

Whatever you use the rest of the time, you really, really need a land-line phone to call for help.

FWIW, we've a DECT system with six (6) neat handsets, plus two wired phones-- One in master bedroom and one beside the AidCall auto-dialler near the front door.

4. jpanhalt

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    @beenthere

Wow, thanks for the fast answer. It is even available (but backordered) in black. Spoke with two providers and a total of 4 agents today. Not one of them had ever heard of such a device.

@Nik

There was a time in my life when I needed to be in contact. I carried both phone and pager. Now, there are many days when I don't get a single call. It's great. As for service interruptions, I am on cable, and it has been out twice today already. ATT phone was not a whole lot better during storms. The OLD copper lines do have their limitations too. When cable goes out, it is the Internet, not the phone that I miss.

Maybe there will be something like a 911 Internet address that actually works. For now, I would just send e-mails to my family or activate the alarm on my car. BTW, keeping your car fob handy is something all older people should consider doing.

John

5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    They have me on a catalog list.

6. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    When we lose our power we lose everything - except for the good old ma bell phone line which is why I keep a regular old $3 plug in phone around the house.

Can't stand internet telephony either, my connection is usually rock solid but if I lose power my whole network goes down and there I'm sitting in the dark but with a UPS on the DSL modem I can usually get my laptop online.

That product called "magic jack" converts a regular phone handset plug into a USB connector.

As to cell phone add-ons there are tons of those, most work with Bluetooth though.