Labview v/s Matlab...

viip

Joined Apr 16, 2009
Hii... Iam a bit familiar with the Matlab but not with Labview....Is it more superior then Matlab?? Can anyone please enlighten me with the benefits of Labview over matlab..:confused::confused:...

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hii... Iam a bit familiar with the Matlab but not with Labview....Is it more superior then Matlab?? Can anyone please enlighten me with the benefits of Labview over matlab..:confused::confused:...
Labview's emphasis is on process control and data acquisition. For real-time science it's very user friendly and intuitive.

Labview does include MATLAB nodes however, so you can "hand off" various processes to matlab subroutines from inside a Labview application.

Labview has an online demo you can download to see what it does. It's a fabulous program...I've been on the volunteer development team for ages (it seems!) :)

If I ran the world, I would require all my students to know Labview AND Matlab.

eric

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I've recently got into LabView as I am working with one of NIs PXI-kits. Whilst you can config Matlab for hardware control over interfaces such as USB, the tight integration of LabView with the hardware is a killer feature. It is also so simple with its drag'n'drop methodology but you also can get granular control when necessary. This is also the case with other (non PXI) hardware from NI. Matlab is still extremely powerful.

Dave

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I've recently got into LabView as I am working with one of NIs PXI-kits. Whilst you can config Matlab for hardware control over interfaces such as USB, the tight integration of LabView with the hardware is a killer feature. It is also so simple with its drag'n'drop methodology but you also can get granular control when necessary. This is also the case with other (non PXI) hardware from NI. Matlab is still extremely powerful.

Dave

Hi Dave:

Have you had a chance to check out DataSocket? When I worked at Hipas Observatory, we used DataSocket for all our remote sensing stations. Very lean and mean,and THE way to do if you're doing distributed science.
By the way, the first time I used Labview was on a Windows 3.1.1 machine! My how its grown! :)

Eric

viip

Joined Apr 16, 2009
integration with hardware is more better in LV??How..just a brief idea pls coz the data and image acquisition tool box of matlab is great....Can we do something in LV which is more tough with matlab......

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hi Dave:

Have you had a chance to check out DataSocket? When I worked at Hipas Observatory, we used DataSocket for all our remote sensing stations. Very lean and mean,and THE way to do if you're doing distributed science.
By the way, the first time I used Labview was on a Windows 3.1.1 machine! My how its grown! :)

Eric
At the minute I haven't, I'm merely configuring the PXI modules for use with a single local (as in physically connected) PC and using that as a "bed-in" for LabView. The intention is to have the system positioned on site and we want to remotely control the acquisition process. Because of the large amounts of data we are acquiring and processing we will still do post-processing on the local PC because of network latency, so Datasocket may be beyond our needs since we can just use RDC to act as a remote host. I will be having a look at it no doubt.

We're a still a way off thinking of such luxuries; the post-processing algorithms don't work for a starters!

Btw, I bet you couldn't run LabView 8.6 on Windows 3.1!!

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
integration with hardware is more better in LV??How..just a brief idea pls coz the data and image acquisition tool box of matlab is great....Can we do something in LV which is more tough with matlab......
Sorry, when I mean integration with hardware, I mean integration with NIs hardware for which LabView is specifically designed with special drivers and APIs. For example I am using PXI technology: http://www.ni.com/pxi/

LabView unlocks the power of PXI systems and allows for tight integration of the hardware which, whilst possible through programming in C++, is both simpler and richer.

The Image Acquisition Toolbox for Matlab is excellent. As a curiosity, what applications are you interested in?

Dave

viip

Joined Apr 16, 2009
@DAVE am currently using IP toolbox for robot control...:) just simple line following...u see we are in initail stage of matlab learning....and ya i once did try my hands on cryptography and stagnography using matlab(basic programs only)

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Sorry, when I mean integration with hardware, I mean integration with NIs hardware for which LabView is specifically designed with special drivers and APIs. For example I am using PXI technology: http://www.ni.com/pxi/

LabView unlocks the power of PXI systems and allows for tight integration of the hardware which, whilst possible through programming in C++, is both simpler and richer.

The Image Acquisition Toolbox for Matlab is excellent. As a curiosity, what applications are you interested in?

Dave

Right-O. And I think it's important to know that National Instruments was well established in the DAQ business long before Labview....but Labview became the tail that wagged the dog....for a good reason!

Eric