Lab in my home?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Eng_Bandar, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Eng_Bandar

Thread Starter Active Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Hi guys
    I'm very glad to submit in this forum. I'm new member in this forum.

I want to build electronic lab in my house but I don't know what are tools necessary to build ?

2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    The best test equipment you can afford. Digital multimeter, Oscilloscope.. A good set of hand tools, pliers, cutters.. A decent soldering iron/station.

What are you looking to get into? High-frequency radio-signals? Video-signals? Music/sound? Repair?

3. Eng_Bandar

Feb 27, 2010
    Thanks a lot
    I will put your advice in my interests that
    will help me in building my lab :) :D ;)

I want to see signals only like waves of sin, pulse and triangle

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  4. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    In that case, an oscilloscope is a must.

5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
  6. VoodooMojo

Nov 28, 2009
    http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Own-Electronics-Workshop/dp/0071447245

ALL THE HELP YOU NEED
    Sophisticated and comprehensive enough for those who want to enter electronics semiprofessionally, yet reader-friendly enough for a beginner to understand and follow, this illustrated guide helps you:

• Find the right spot for your workshop, even in crowded apartments
    • Select needed tools and equipment, from money-saving listed sources
    • Learn soldering from the ground up
    • Master circuit board and wiring techniques
    • Conquer electronics troubleshooting and testing methods
    • Build many of the pieces of equipment you need yourself, if you choose
    • Discover the possibilities of circuit-board-design and CAD/CAM software
    BUILD IT WITH TOM AND SAVE!
    Build Your Own Electronics Workshop gives you clear, illustrated directions for making many of the components for your shop yourself, including:
    • Workbench
    • Function/Signal Generator
    • Frequency Counter
    • Bench Power Supply
    • Continuity Tester
    • Battery Tester
    • Capacitor Tester
    • Logic Injector/Probe
    • L/C Tester
    • Transistor Tester
    • More

7. ChrisChemist116

Mar 13, 2009
    I always wanted to build my own laboratory for experimenting on electronics. And for repair too.

However the only tools i have at the moment is just a digital multimeter, some calipers, loupes, mini screwdrivers, cutters (as described above). Umm. what else?.

I have a couple of needle-nose pliers and even some surgical forceps (kelly type) like the one on this link http://shop.advanceweb.com/images/p...aightForcep_PSG/02746_CardioSteth_PSG_med.jpg

These are very useful for picking up little components, I found to use such tools is very easy for me as i took basic training on first aid, some years ago.

I also have an antistatic wrist,
    Maybe i dont have a decent soldering station, instead i have a soldering iron that is exactly like the one on this picture http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml99/99107A.jpg
    Basically that's all i got.

Unfortunatelly i havent been able to buy an oscilloscope yet, but i am sure i will.
    I hope my comment doesn't interfere with the original message posted at the top.

Cheers :) and good luck experimenting

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  8. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    VoodooMojo:

I OWN that book. Thats weird.. It must be a Baltimore thing. ;)

OP:

It is a great book. I teaches you just about EVERYthing you need to know about setting up a lab. From what material to use for a bench to how to use dozens of pieces of test equiptment.. and, it teaches you how to BUILD your own lab equipment. Many circuit diagrams and where to buy parts. Great book.

Go get it.

9. VoodooMojo

Nov 28, 2009

There used to be an Active Electronics store in Glen Burnie a bit south of the MVA. I was their best customer for a few years.
    I was conducting these 3 week electronics classes around the country and that location was my supply depot. Every few weeks I would stop by and pick up components for upcoming classes and I would also grab a book or two. I have built a pretty vast library over the years.
    This book is popular with many electronics buffs of all levels of experience and skills.
    The function/signal generator project in the book was a class project all in the class would build, swap their completed project with another person's in the class. That person would bug the project and give it back to the original builder who in turn would have to troubleshoot and repair the project.

I was saddened when Active Electronics closed their doors.
    It was like my dog got hit by a truck...
    But then I found this place in Beltsville.
    I am all better now!

http://www.markelectronics.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

10. williamarren

Mar 15, 2010
    Hi,

It's really nice idea to have a Electronic Lab of our own,,I personally would like to suggest some requirements...Analog Oscilloscope,Analog and Digital Multimeters,Signal Generators,Spectrum Analyzers..

Thank you..

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2010
  11. Eng_Bandar

Feb 27, 2010
    Thank guys