L6203 is not working with 24v

shey_med

Joined Oct 29, 2011
Hi every one,
Very recently i made a stepper motor controller by using L297 and L6203.Its working with 12v power with some noise on stepper motor.But when i use 24v power, the stepper motor is getting vibrate and its not moving.Im using step angle 1.8 and 4Amp nema 23 stepper motor.

Please help me to solve above issue.....

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Can't help you without a schematic diagram and a specification on both the 12V and 24V power supplies. Switching power supplies are well know for their difficulty in dealing with substantial load transients. Help us out mun.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Like Papabravo says, we really need the schematic, and preferably the layout of your board(s) and photos of how things are connected.

I suspect that you are picking up excessive noise from the motor switching on your 5v logic supply due to an insufficient number of filter caps and/or poor regulation.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Also you cannot go from a zero velocity to a high velocity quickly. You have to accelerate and decelerate and avoid the mechanical resonance of the system as well as the electrical resonance. It is a second order system with two poles.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I am unable to open the Eagle schematic. It looks like your stepper has two coils and is driven in a bipolar fashion. I am less familiar with the bipolar configuration. Most of my experience is with the unipolar 4-phase motors.

In particular the thing I don't remember is if there should be diodes to catch the flyback voltage when you switch the polarity on a coil. The RC across the coil is also unfamiliar to me what is the purpose of that piece of circuitry?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Your schematic image was much too large. I usually export them as monochrome, and 120 DPI in .png format.

Did you make a PCB using that Eagle file? There were a number of problems.

I have made a number of corrections, and made the schematic easier to read and trace.

Have a look at the attached.

Attachments

shey_med

Joined Oct 29, 2011
Hi SgtWookie ,Thanks a lot for your correction on my schemetic.I dont have much experience drawing schemetics.If i go through corrected schemetic then my problem would be solved ? My stepper motors are 2-Phase,4A,0.8 ohm,1.8 step angle with 6 lead wires.I used 24v 15Amp and 12 Volt 10Amp Power supply at a time....

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
What I was asking, is did you make a circuit board using Eagle, from the Eagle schematic you had uploaded earlier? If so, the things that you had wrong in your schematic will still be wrong in that board file.

What I did with the Eagle schematic is a preliminary on the fixes.

shey_med

Joined Oct 29, 2011
Yes it is SgtWookie.I made the board by using Eagle schemetic which i uploaded earlier.So i vl make now new board according to your schemetic.Once it completed i vl come again to u.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
First, upload the board that you already created.

You may have to .zip it first - or simply rename the file to have a .txt extension.

shey_med

Joined Oct 29, 2011
SgtWookie.......Yes i made the board by using schemetic which i sent u...Now im going to make new board with your schemetic...i vl contact u when i finish my new board..Thanks for ur advices

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
OK, I have corrected most of the errors, and I have added a ground plane (copper pour) on the bottom of the board.

I've matched up your board with my revised schematic, and resolved the differences. You used a potentiometer that is causing clearance errors. You are using proportional fonts on the bottom layer; you really should have used the tDocu or bDocu layer instead, but that's up to you.

My copy of Eagle is not registered, so I could not move any of the components on the board, nor put the board in its' proper place.

The schematic now has a frame around it, and the lower left corner is at coordinates 0,0.

You should move the board so that its' lower left corner is at coordinates 0,0 also. Otherwise, you may have strange results if you try to print it.

You had added J2 to the board, but it was not in the schematic. I was not certain if you actually wanted to have separate +24v and +5v lines in there or not; I connected them all together. Note that those header strips are limited to 1A current. If you try to run more than 1A current through them, you will likely burn them up.

Attachments

Last edited:

shey_med

Joined Oct 29, 2011
Wow.....Its a nice and good looking board file SgtWookie.Thank you for spending valuable time for me to do this designe.I will make new board according to you desinge.To create a board it vl take some days, bcos im using traditional PCB etching system. Once it finish i vl come to you..Thanks

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I have an update to the board; I added another copper pour area for +24v on the top layer, and moved a couple of traces from top to bottom and vice-versa to make the ground plane less fragmented.

See the attached.

You should move the board so that the lower left coordinates are at position 0,0, and upload it again. I can't move any of the components as it is. The unlicensed version can only handle a board that is 3"x4", and that is measured from the 0,0 point.

Attachments