L6203 in Parallel ???

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by joprinz, Oct 10, 2008.

1. joprinz

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to design a High Ampere (4-8A) Bipolar stepper Driver and I am looking at various possibilities now.

I came across the L6203 4A Full Bridge from ST. This is the basic L297/L6203 Bipolar Stepper driver setup.

L297 + 2 x L6203 Full Bridge ===> 4A Max per Phase

I checked the L6203 Datasheet and it says 4A MAX in FULL Bridge Mode. I was just wondering if its possible to use the L6203 in a half bridge mode? So my setup would look like:

L297 + 2 x L6203 Half Bridge + 2 x L6203 Half Bridge ===> 8A Max per Phase

Is such a setup possible? Any idea/Suggestion/Opinion is highly appreciated.

Please Advice!

Thank You,

Joe!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  2. scubasteve_911

Dec 27, 2007
    Joe,

I am not sure about if you can do that. Maybe you should call an applications engineer with knowledge on that part, he will know if someone has attempted it.

For the L6205, you can do it for sure.
    http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/7616/l6205.pdf

You can get 5.6A RMS out of one. You may use two of these to drive your stepper motor. I have 10 of these lying around somewhere if you're interested. If you want them, I can send them if you pay postage. I don't think ST samples these.

The one thing that isn't fun with these packages, is that you need to escape heat from the bottom. I machined a custom heatsink for my setup, it was a pain.

Steve