Krell KSA-200S - Advice on power requirements off the wall.

Nazim

Joined Nov 17, 2010
I just acquired a Krell KSA-200S. The manual says that I must connect it to a dedicated wall socket with at least 20A. But I believe they must be referrring to the USA where the supply is 120V and where I live in Belgium it is 240V. If my understanding is correct it should be half the amperes and also half the wire gauge? They also state that I should not use a power strip. I mean why not a power strip??? Your comments and opinions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance everybody. Nazim

Brussels 8° outside. No sun, and the sky aint blu.

Call an electrician, your several thousand dollar Krell should not be plugged into a power bar. Yes that thing can seriously affect your power bills, it also can double as a welder.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Thanks, but I guess if it is 20A for 120v it should be 10A for 240. Is that correct?
That is true only is the input transformer has been (or can be) switched to accept 240 VAC in place of 120. If the input voltage can't be changed, then plugging into 240 VAC will cause a failure.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DONT do what I think your going to do.

You really NEED to get this done right.

It would be a pity if you used a noisy 220/120 converter that ruined the sound, or if you tried to jam 220 into this thing and ruin it completely.

You have already gone this far, buying such a beautiful piece of audio equipment. Spend a little extra and have it professionally wired and isolated.

Nazim

Joined Nov 17, 2010
This product is especially destined for Europe to work also on 240v, and it is not a modified US version. And the authorised distributor is in Holland. I think it applies only to the US, I mean the Amperes. So back to my original question 120v 20A = 240v 10amps. Would that be correct? See pictures on the thread. But enlarge it, so you can have a better view.

Attachments

Nazim

Joined Nov 17, 2010
But then it would suck 20A (for 120v) only at full power. At idle state it would require 140W and at normal listening levels it should not exceed 500W I guess, but not sure, because it is a complete Class A amplifier, with automatic biasing depending on the load. It has those lovely 4 step bias meters on the front panel.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
but not sure, because it is a complete Class A amplifier
Class A tends to be constant power in terms of dissipation. That amp will make a nice room heater. I have a class A headphone amp that dissipates 90 watts for a 500 mw output.